Sunday, September 11, 2022

A Day of Remembrance - For Two Reasons

I've had the privilege of seeing the 9/11 Memorial 3 times. Well, once it was still Ground Zero. Our family visited in 2004 and they hadn't quite started rebuilding yet.





We went again twice last year. Once when Sharaya and I went back to Pennsylvania in May to help Diana shop for her wedding dress, and then Chuck, Beth, Ally, Sharaya and I went two days after the wedding. That time we went into the museum as well. It's a humbling, solemn experience.
 
 May 2022
 

 
 September 24, 2022
 


Three years ago today, September 11, 2019 my dad passed away. He was 95. He fought in WWII, had 4 daughters and lived a long, full life. He and I were very close and when he was put on hospice I flew to San Diego to be with him and my sisters. I'm so grateful I got to be there to say goodbye. Love you dad.
 


6 comments:

Latane Barton said...

My heartfelt love and hugs for you on this anniversary of your Dad's death. I love that picture of him and you. He looks so sweet and kind. I know you miss him greatly.

Terri D said...

I understand about your dad. I got to my dad's hospital bed in time to spend the last few hours with him. So glad I could get there in time. Hugs. The 9/11 memorial looks so special. I doubt I will ever get there so appreciate your photos. Have a blessed week!

Billie Jo said...

Hugs today. We never really get over them, no matter how long, do we? Have a cozy evening, my friend.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

((Hugs)) That had to be a very hard day for you. Sorry that your dad passed away on one of the saddest days in our history. I will never forget 9/11 and every detail of that day and all that followed.

Ernie said...

That is such a sweet photo of you and your dad. I have not been to the 9/11 Memorial. Still so hard to believe. I'm glad you were able to make it to San Diego to spend time with your dad. Even though it has been 3 years, sorry for your loss.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Precious memories of your Dad. And yes, 9-11 was a very somber day for all of us. Each year I find myself not wanting to remember because it is so painful. But we have to remember and never allow this to happen again.