Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Tuesday Texts - Surprising

Beth and I have done our grocery shopping together for so long I was a little surprised last week when I got this text:
 

Beth is absolutely capable of grocery shopping by herself. Getting a cart, picking all of her groceries, using her debit card at the register. She doesn't need my help with any of it. 
 
She is capable, but vulnerable. 
 

I ended up parking at the grocery store and while she went inside, I walked next door to TJMaxx and picked up some things for work. I went into Safeway to see if I could find her and she was already at the cashier. She turned in my direction - yikes! I ran back out to the car so she wouldn't see me and just as she said, she stopped just inside the door and texted me:

i am done ready

I told her I was in the car and she came right out.

 
I sat in the car while she put her groceries in the trunk. She put the cart in the cart return, got in the car... and we headed home!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I bet you were proud of her! I think we moms always try to help out when we can. That is love. Letting go is hard!

ellen b. said...

Her independence is good for her but I understand the vulnerability, too. You are a good mom.

Terri D said...

Yes, her independence is so important and it's great that she is doing so well. xo