Friday, April 21, 2023

A Trip to the Antique Store Reveals...

 ...a little about me.
 
There's a store called the Antique Pavilion about a mile from our house. The place is huge, not quite as big as WalMart but it might be close. I went there this last weekend, walked up the long staircase to the store and took a deep breath. I couldn't help but smile.
 
It's filled with treasures from long ago. It takes me back to my childhood as I walk past stall after stall of items that remind me of my grandma, my parents or my older sisters. It fills my mind with memories of childhood: of playing hopscotch and jump rope; riding my bike with the banana seat and tall handlebars; I grew up in San Diego and I still remember the sidewalk being warm from the sun as me and my friends would sit criss-cross-applesause for a long game of jacks.
 




 
This store is my escape. I can spend hours here...
 

 I found some children's tap shoes! A little bigger than the ones I wore, I took tap when I was six or seven. I still remember the 'tap-tap-shuffle-ball-change' routine. I don't know if that's what it's called today, but I can still do it!
 

 I left the world of tap at the ripe old age of eight and joined a baton corp. I was in that for about 3 years and I still have my baton. This is us waiting for our turn to join the parade.
 
 
That's me on the right, carrying the banner. Every girl got a turn to carry it in at least one parade if she wanted to.

 
That's me in the back. My two best friends Cheri and Robin on the left, and my cousin Sandy on the right. I still keep in touch with these guys.

 
Meanwhile, back at the antique store... they have true antiques, retro items and not-quite-antique antiques.
 


 
What do you think, are these antiques? My kids played with My Little Ponies! I played with Little Kiddles. You pop the top off and the front separates from the back. The tiny doll smelled like perfume. I still have my original Little Kiddle and you know what? You can still smell the perfume!
 

 There's a corner in our house that has been dubbed as Ally's Area for many years. We put her pack 'n play there when she was first born. I would babysit her on Saturdays when Sharaya would work and Ally's Area would fill with books and sidewalk chalk and bubbles, coloring books and dolls. Then the pack and play was replaced with a toy box and doll house. Then a white, round furry chair took their place. Now at 13, only the books are there. 
 
So I pulled out all of my antiques and redid the area. My mom's typewriter, my dad's reel-to-reel projector, my grandpa's camera, pics of Chuck's and my mom. A dog piggy bank that the dealership gave me when my dad bought a Ford car in 1966. And an old chair that wraps around you like a hug. It's become one of my favorite spots in the house.
 

 Do you have anything from your childhood? An item that holds precious memories?

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love antique stores -- this looks like a gem. I still have my Steiff teddy bear (the earliest photo with us together, I'm about 3) and another well-loved bear. Some teen things (still have Barbie but I'm not sure she has many clothes left except what's on her! And bad hair!)

ellen b. said...

When we lived on your side of the mountains we enjoyed walking through that antique store. Nice re-do of that corner. I've heard it said that something needs to be 100 or more years old to be classified an antique. The my little ponies don't qualify yet...
Fun memories to recall. I don't have anything from my childhood. We really didn't have toys. I do have some photos that help the old memories.

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh, those tap shoes brought back memories! I was about the same age as you and loved the sound of the taps. I also took baton lessons and wanted to be a majorette. I still have my baton tucked away in my closet. What fun!! I would enjoy walking through that store with you!! xo

Susan said...

I love to look in antique stores! There are quite a few in Old Town Orange. Hubby and I like to go there to eat and shop. I like how you did that corner. Funny to see things that we had when we first got married that are antiques. We are going on 49 years! I have a few things that were my grandmothers. Thanks for sharing!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, I enjoyed this so much! That store looks like a fun place to visit and walk down memory lane. I know I would love it. And I love what you did with your little "memory corner". That is a great idea and very sweet and comforting in that nice chair! Yes, I have a lot of "old stuff" here...many antiques from our grandparents, etc. I still have my original Barbie doll from 1960. She isn't in mint condition so has no $$ value, but she was so well loved and enjoyed. I also have my Tiny Tears doll, but her poor rubber arms are cracked and she is missing some fingers. But she is close to 70 years old, so what do you expect? I have many other things, too numerous to list. Everything seems to have a story. I tried to be a majorette. My best friend was an excellent twirler, and I tried so hard to be like her, but being a lefty I was awkward and just never got the hang of it. So I became a cheerleader instead...I could yell nice and loud and jump up and down just fine. That was before they had to do gymnastic routines. Thank you for the walk down memory lane. Really sweet.

Doris said...

That was fun! I love old things full of memories. We had to part with many treasures when we moved in 2014 but I saved a few which are now displayed on a shelf my husband made for me. Still have my childhood bunny penny bank. It's glasses are broken and the stopper is missing but I still treasure it!

16 blessings'mom said...

The pretty green/blue rotary phone was extra special back in the day, anything other than plain black, and Ma Bell charged extra. My brother and sister-in-law had a baby blue wall phone, so very uppity back then. I remember pulling the little cord as far as it would stretch, for a little privacy, talking to boys on the phone. I still remember the freedom of my first cordless phone, being able to take care of the kids and talk to my sister at the same time...back when you could live fifteen minutes apart, and somehow it was "long distance", and we had huge phone bills, ha.