Friday, October 28, 2022

Assaulted - One of the Hazards of His Job

Chuck came home from work early on Tuesday because he had been assaulted while on the bus!
 
 2019
 
 
He drives for Metro here in Seattle and he had pulled up to a bus stop where a guy was waiting to get on. He didn't stop to pay the fare, just went to the back of the bus and sat down. Chuck wondered if he had just stolen all the unbagged food he had in his arms.
 
Thankfully there wasn't anyone else on the bus.
 
He drove off to the next stop but the guy got up and yelled at him to pull over. Chuck pointed to the next stop and told him he'd pull over up there.
 
The guy crawled under the barrier at the front of the bus and punched him just above his right eye! 
 
He was able to pull over and open the doors and the guy took off. Chuck called his supervisor and a few minutes later a fire truck and aid car pulled up. They checked him out but he felt fine and didn't want to go to the hospital. He gave his supervisor a description of the guy. Plus, those buses have cameras everywhere so they'll have videos of him.
 
He's had a few close calls with riders but had never been physically hurt. Until now. He went to the doctor the next day and nothing is broken. They did tests on his eye as well and everything is okay. He took the rest of this week off and will go back on Monday. Halloween. He's going to wear his Seattle Kracken jersey, they're our hockey team. 😄
 
You can see the progression over the last few days. The huge bump above the eye on the day it happened. Then the swelling went down pretty quickly and the bruise appeared.
 


 
Thankfully he hasn't had any pain, although the area above the eye is pretty tender. I'm so grateful nothing was broken!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that happened to Chuck. I hope he recovers quickly. Saddened by such an unnecessary act of violence.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, my! That is so terrible! I am thankful that he wasn't injured any worse, but this is bad enough. He could have damaged his eye! Wow, that is so sad. People are so crazy these days, you just never know when someone is going to "crack". Glad Chuck is okay and that he's taking some time off to recover and rest. That had to be traumatic. Praying for his continued safety and healing.

Mevely317 said...

How frightening! Thank God that nut case didn't have a knife. Twice now my son's been held up while making his pre-dawn deliveries. What a world!

PS - I don't suppose Chuck's permitted to carry a weapon or at least a can of mace spray?

Dianne said...

Oh gosh. That is horrible. I hope they catch the guy, although probably would be a catch and release. But still, catch him!

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~ Oh my goodness, that must have been terrifying! It's so sad that we live in a world where people think they can do things like that and nothing will happen to them. I hope they find the man and throw the book at him. Chuck will be in my prayers for quick healing and comfort. I'm so glad he took some time off to recuperate. Gentle hugs to you both. Barb

Jeanie said...

That's absolutely frightening. I'm relieved nothing was broken, no shooting, not more horribly injured but still, that's very scary and I'm sure painful. Sending many wishes for fast healing.

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh, how awful and how scary! Golly, I would be scared to go back to work and especially on Halloween. Praying for the bruise to heal and for safety as he bravely gets back behind the wheel. xo

ellen b. said...

Oh no! We read about Seattle and other major cities where this kind of unprecedented crime is going on but it really hits home when you know of those who are being attacked. Praying for new leadership in our state and for crime to be punished instead of tolerated and excused. So glad it wasn't worse but...it should not have happened in the first place.

Billie Jo said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that happened! Bless his heart! Prayers for his healing, physically and emotionally. I am sure that is traumatic. Hugs to you.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh no! That is SO scary, so disturbing...glad he's okay, but dang, I hope the guy who did it gets in big trouble. Poor Chuck. Hugs.

Regina said...

I'm just seeing this! Oh my how scary. I'm glad he wasn't hurt more seriously. I hope they catch the guy who did it. Praying for quick recovery.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

OMG, I am so sorry that happened to him. I'm sorry about his eye but thankful he is okay otherwise. Scary!!!!