Saturday, October 15, 2022

A 4AM Scare

 Early in the morning on October 6, I heard Beth coming up the stairs. I can usually hear her because she starts talking to herself as she makes her way down the hall to the bathroom. But last week I didn't hear her go down the hall so I got out of bed and found her laying prostrate on the stairs. 
 
"Beth!!" She was about 4-5 stairs from the top so I went down and put my hand on her back and she was so hot! She was sweating and unresponsive. She started to slide down the stairs so I stood behind her and she said, "My stomach hurts!" then passed out again. I yelled at Chuck and he brought a cold wash cloth. She was in and out for a few minutes but then came-to enough to where we could get her to the bathroom.
 
She had d.
 
She immediately felt better so we had her sleep in my recliner. I brought her crackers and water, and Chuck slept next to her in his recliner since he had to be up in less than an hour. I was able to go back to bed but I certainly didn't sleep well!
 
She had fallen asleep so I woke her up before I left for work, just to make sure she was still doing okay. Her color had come back and she wasn't hot anymore. I told her she needed to drink the water.
 
I came home after a couple hours to check on her (I'm thankful we only live 5 minutes from my job) and she had taken everything downstairs: the water, the crackers, and she was asleep in her own bed. 
 
I made an appointment on-line to see her doctor.
But got a call saying Beth needed to be seen that day at the walk-in clinic.
Got off work early only to be told the clinic was booked and no one could see her.
Went home and had a video conference with a different doctor.
Went back the next morning for a blood draw...
 
She had an in-person visit yesterday and the lab work showed her iron levels are low. They did an EKG (which was normal) but they want to do a more in depth evaluation. So I'll be scheduling her for a heart monitor as well as an echocardiogram. She's been fine ever since it happened though. Back to work, back to hanging out with her friends...
 
 She fell asleep while waiting for the doctor to come in
 

 Getting hooked up for the EKG


13 comments:

ellen b. said...

That must have been so scary. Glad she is so much better. Yikes!

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~ Oh my goodness, that must have been so scary! I'm so glad she is feeling better, what a relief. You will all be in my prayers. Gentle hugs to you, Beth and Chuck.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So very sorry Beth hasn't been feeling well, but so glad she is better now than she was. I can imagine how scary that was. Wow! (((hugs))) and prayers that all will be well with the tests, etc.

Jeanie said...

That's so frightening. As a parent I would have been terrified. I'm glad she's better and hope the test results yield valuable information. (FYI -- I'm wearing a heart monitor for three weeks. First they gave me one that attached to my skin. It was grim and my skin is badly broken out. They switched -- not soon enough -- to a lanyard with electrodes. It's far more comfortable and better for the skin and easier to maintain and recharge -- so if she has an option, consider that one.)

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Oh my gravy!! Held my breath while reading until I knew Beth was okay. Sounds like the doctor is taking every precaution to figure out if anything more is going on. I think getting her iron levels balanced will be fairly uncomplicated but taking iron just 'backs me up' something fierce. So might take some fine tuning.

Did Beth remember starting up the stairs to get you? I have fainted twice and truly blacked out and didn't know what had happened to me. Scary feeling.

Hope you have a good report from the additional tests. Mix her up a smoothie a couple mornings a week with a healthy handful of spinach in it, some fresh fruits...banana, pineapple, peaches. That might give her iron a boost.

Doris said...

Oh my, that was so scary! Glad she is getting checked out even though she's feeling like herself again.

Billie Jo said...

Oh, my friend, I am so sorry! But thankful you were right there and that she is feeling better. Prayers for everything.

Joyce said...

I'm sure that was frightening and I hope all is well now!

Lovely said...

That must have been scary. You must be relieved now that she is doing better. Sending thoughts your way and hoping that everything goes well with the tests.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear this. Praying that all the tests come back with good results and that she is okay. What a scare that was. ((Hugs))

Regina said...

Oh how scary! I pray you get answers soon!

Terri D said...

Oh my, I am so glad you found someone to see her. Doctors and medical facilities can be so frustrating!! Prayers lifted for her... and you!!

Susan said...

I am glad Beth is feeling better. What a scare!