Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Salt!

A few weeks ago I was reading over at The Rocking Pony about how she was 'salting her pavers'. She had heard that salt, plain 'ol dinner table salt would kill weeds, so she spread it in the cracks between the pavers in her yard. And it killed the weeds!!

Salt is inexpensive and safe plus a salt shaker is the ideal way to spread it evenly. So I thought I'd try it. I took a salt shaker and heavily poured salt on a small area of one of our drive areas.

One week later, weeds, grass, even moss is dead!



 And look! It annihilated this dandelion!


I've read on Pinterest about using certain parts salt with certain parts water with certain parts vinegar... but all I used was plain salt. Awesome!! So now I've used salt on a much bigger area. Is it really this simple?? Does anyone know if there is a down side to using plain salt to kill weeds?  

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Salt will kill plants but will make the ground unsuitable for future plant growth.

Unknown said...

Salt does work, but it changes the chemical make up of any area where you spread it. So if you wanted to put plants, flowers, or re-seed grass there, it would be fairly unlikely for any of it to grow. This comes directly from the agricultural chemist husband, who spends his daily life with weeds, seeds, fertilizer, and crop protection!

Becca said...

I was just about to get all excited about this, but am glad I read the comments first... :-(

Jennifer Scott said...

Epsom salts help to make the lawn lush. That's about all I know about salt & plants.

We have found nothing that will kill the dandelions so I might try this & then spread the area with starter fertilizer and compost to breathe new life into the soil.