Thursday, November 15, 2012

Radiation Treatment

I got home from work, put dinner in the oven, started a load of laundry and now I have just a few minutes before everyone else arrives home.

Let's see, what have we been up to?

Yesterday I painted 'phase 2' of the kitchen. I'm hoping to get it done before the end of the year. No guarantees.

Diana leaves for London in just two weeks! She's going to the premier of Les Miserables. She'll be going alone but plans to meet some friends there. I'm a little jealous.

On the 27th of this month, Beth starts her radiation treatment for Graves Disease. Chuck has taken that whole week off so we'll both get to be there with her. I'm glad Chuck is coming. We always feel stronger and more brave when he's around.

I don't know if I told you that I was asking a lot of questions in the doctors office about side affects, things we should watch for, etc. when he told me that the government looks at this the same way they look at a nuclear reactor. To them, it's all radiation so a lot of the same rules have to be followed. But he said there's such a small amount of radiation in this pill, it's not gonna hurt any of us. It's just a tiny amount to kill her thyroid. But because it's r-a-d-i-a-t-i-o-n, the government puts all these restrictions and guidelines in place. He said by law, we have to follow the rules he gives us, but medically there's not enough radiation to do any harm.

I felt so much better after that! It was like, "Okay. We can do this."

4 comments:

Nan said...

Yup! You can do it! Or, alternatively, you could all go to the opening of Les Miz????

Caz said...

Congratulations on doing more on your kitchen, and I hope things go well in the run up to Beth's treatment. Will you let us know how she responds?

Becca said...

Ah, yes, I've been wondering when this was going to happen. It's just for 3 days, Cindy...you can all do this!! Glad Chuck will be there with you, though. And that's such great news to hear that it's primarily gov't regulation that puts all the precautions in place, and that it's not necessarily all that scary in reality. :-)

Unknown said...

Good Luck, I am sure you and Cindy and Chuck will do well! :)