Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Day Before

It's the day before Thanksgiving and Beth and I just got back from working at the church. Each Thanksgiving we serve a free dinner to the community. I'm the team leader for the condiments area; we prepare the black olives, pickles and cranberry sauce, plus dish up all the pies. It's exhausting but fun.

Today Beth and I prepared the room where I'll be working tomorrow. We laid down heavy mats, moved tables, hauled the big Costco size containers of olives and pickles... then we went out for frozen yogurt. :)

Tomorrow Beth will be working in the childcare area, helping with the kids all day. Diana is helping me in condiments and Chuck will be in the transportation department. If someone doesn't have a ride, we go pick them up and then take them home after dinner.

We do this three times. There are dinners at 11:00, 1:30 and 3:30. There is entertainment during the meal plus door prizes and a raffle for an IPad. We have a professional photographer taking family photos and a reception room with coffee and snacks while you wait for your seating. It's a pretty involved event with more than 400 volunteers to make it all happen. I guess you could say this is our 18th Annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner!


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving (I can't believe it's the end of November already!) and I just want to say how thankful I am for some of the basic necessities. A hot shower, my bed, a roof over my head. I know so many in this country, due to the weather or house fires don't have even these basic things and I know how precious they are. I'm thankful for my husband. He has been so faithful and such a calming influence in my life. I feel safe when he's around. I'm thankful for our three girls, Beth, Sharaya, Diana and for Ryan and Allison. They bring joy into my life. I'm so proud of each of them and am blessed that they all love the Lord.

From our family to yours, we hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!



 

5 comments:

Becky said...

Happy Thankagiving to you and your beautiful family. :)

Caz said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and what a beautiful way to spend it. I may need to start celebrating Thanksgiving here. There's a lot to be thankful for.

JC said...

Happy Thanksgiving Cindy :)

Nan said...

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! You do inspire!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.