Friday, September 26, 2014

This is Our Life Now

As Beth approaches 30, I'm reminded of all the things our future might hold.

I go to Facebook and read blogs about the milestones of children who have Down Syndrome, those who are struggling to find their place in school, the issues parents have with their child's IEP, who to invite to the birthday party, tying shoes, riding bikes, making friends... all those things that used to be SO important to us.

But that was many years ago.

It almost seems like a different life. A different family.

Now my thoughts are on aging and everything that comes with it. What issues will we face? What will Beth's 'senior years' look like?

I'm part of a group on fb called IDSC - Parents/Caregivers of Teens/Adults. IDSC stands for International Down Syndrome Coalition. It deals with all the things that come with having - or caring for - an older child with Ds.

I find this is where I spend a lot of my time. This is where were are now. We're past puberty, past all the school drama and fighting for Beth's rights, past all the growing up years.

This is our life now. From here on out, we deal with employment, health, social services.

And aging.

As nervous as all of you are about the growing up years, I'm just as nervous about the aging process for Beth. And I'm a little shocked at how fast it arrived.

1 comment:

JEllen said...

I'm right there with you Cindy. Scared, afraid, yet hopeful and trying to live each day to it's fullest.