Saturday, September 28, 2024

Let There be Light, Comin' Up on Forty, and Trying Something For the First Time

Hi,
It feels like forever since I've been on here. I've got more time on my hands but I'm sure filling it up fast!
 
Beth's and Sharaya's birthdays are in a couple of weeks so we've been working on that. They're two years apart but Sharaya's is October 6th, and Beth's is the 10th. Beth turns 40 (!!) so we've got a few surprises planned.

I've been making my own greeting cards for many years and for the first time ever I'm going to try selling them. Our church has been hosting a holiday market every October and that's also coming up in a couple of weeks. It's a lot different making them for fun, vs needing a certain amount and having a deadline. I've reserved a little 6' table at the market and I'm trying to figure out how to fill it up. Many of the sellers have two-to-three times that much. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and got some fall flower arrangements that match my cards (sunflowers, etc.) and little boxes to display the cards. I'm excited, and nervous at the same time.
 

When Beth isn't at work or bowling or church... she sits at her desk, watches TV and draws. She has stencils and draws the alphabet over and over. It's a common thing among people who have Down Syndrome. Not necessarily drawing, but things with repetition. That's why the same schedule each day works best for them, rather than constant change. Beth is right-handed and her ceiling light is on her right, so she wears a light, like a miners light on her head. Hers is attached to a soft headband. Well I have a lamp at work that I thought she might like, it's got a USB port where she can charge her phone. And it can sit on her left so her right hand won't block the light while she writes. She chose the pink one of course and it arrived the other day.





So far she loves it. I hope it works for her. New things are sometimes hard for her to accept into her already set routines.

I should get started on my day. Even though it's already noon on a Saturday. I'm tellin' ya the days are absolutely flying by! I hope you have a great weekend!

No comments: