Sunday, May 5, 2024

We'll Give This a Try

 I've used The Cutest Blog on the Block for many years and when I went to find a new background, I learned you now have to pay for them. I'm not ready to do that yet, so I'll try some basic blogger themes for now. I may tweak it later but for now, I think I'm headed forward.

For a week our old computer was dead. I couldn't get it working for anything. Finally Friday night it came on with a blue screen telling me it was collecting error data. Then a countdown giving 6 hours, 9 hours, 14 hours, I finally turned it off again when it reached '19 hours' to perform this data check. 

I looked up how to start my computer when that screen appears and it suggested I start and restart my computer three times. The fourth time I'd probably lose a lot of data but there was a chance the computer would be working again. I had nothing to lose at this point so I turned it off. And on. And off. 

And I began to cry. All those photos. I had a folder of my great grandparents. Each of my girls growing up from birth to the present, my parents, (who are both gone now) my sister, who passed away in 2022... I knew it was my own fault for not backing everything up. I kept telling myself I have these photos, they're in the house somewhere, I wasn't losing them forever. But I've organized these right here on the computer, ready when I need them. I asked the Lord to do a miracle and please bring that computer back to life. Just long enough for me to transfer everything.

I turned it back on. And off again. I was sobbing now. I had a knot in my stomach. 

I turned it on... and it came on!!! My desktop was there! I could click on the photos and I began to transfer them folder by folder. And it kept working!! I transferred our documents, things from our desktop... it took me more than two hours but I got it done! I know God did a miracle that night. That computer was DEAD. 

I woke up the next morning with a tension headache. I wonder why. 😌 I now have all of those photos on a flash drive with just a very few here on the computer. I definitely learned my lesson.

So now I'm hoping to be blogging a little more regularly and reading more too. Thank you for your patience and encouragement!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

God is so wonderful! I'm so glad he turned that computer back on for you.

Regina said...

I like the new look of your blog. Beth is such a sweet young woman!

ellen b. said...

I can understand the pit in your stomach. I'm glad it finally came on again and you were able to back up the photos!!

Terri D said...

My photos are all in Google Photos, in the cloud, so they won't be lost in a dead computer. Been there and it is a terrible feeling. I am happy you got your photos and documents back!! Love that photo of your Beth!! I was disappointed about Cutest Blog as well but am making do with wallpaper backgrounds.

Hena Tayeb said...

We had a few nests some years ago.. multiple eggs in each. We kept an eye on them but very few survived the predators.
It's wonderful that you mom went back to school and was able to graduate.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I think you were granted a little miracle in restoring your computer just long enough to get everything off of it before it went on to the big computer lab in the sky. So glad you have your pictures. I have been saving all of my pictures into a program called Dropbox. It is available online so you could access the pictures on any device anywhere. You just login to your Dropbox and save your pictures there. Let me know if you need more information.