Monday, June 28, 2021

Cool

Seattle has hit record temps the last few days. We haven't wanted to move a muscle, let alone do anything so we come home and we sit. We drink a ton of ice water and we have 2, 3, 4 fans blowing on us.

I saw a statistic recently that said the Pacific Northwest is the least air-conditioned area in the country. Something like 60% do not have air conditioning. We're one of them.

Our average temps this time of year are in the low 70's but for the last few days they've been close to 100. Then today:


 

Everywhere you go people are talking about ways to stay cool, asking if you slept the night before. Stores are out of fans, ice, portable air conditioners... this area is not equipped to handle these extreme temperatures! Our church - and many others - plus libraries, schools, etc. have become Cooling Centers, inviting the community to come in out of the heat. We had people in and out from 10am to 10pm today. We fed them lunch and dinner, had board games, drinks, movies...

This was our reader board when I left work this evening:

I don't think it was quite that high but when we got home at 7:15 our fireplace thermostat read 89 degrees! Inside our house! We opened windows and turned on the fans. I just checked it again and right now, at 11:15pm it is 87. I believe it, it is so hot in here.
 

I kept texting Beth throughout the day, making sure she was okay. Her place (our daylight basement) always stays so cool in the summer because she's partially underground. We talked about dinner and then I asked how she was doing...


Stay cool my friends!! 😎

10 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Yay for being partially underground!

Especailly on these hot Pacific Northwest summers.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I think I'd be moving down in the basement with Beth, where it's "cool". LOL. That is extremely hot for anyone, but especially when you don't have AC as a rule. So nice of your church to be a "cooling" shelter. Please take care and stay hydrated...and "be cool".

Latane Barton said...

That is so crazy! I sure hope you get cooler temps soon. My daughter lives in Oregon and is suffering from all this heat as well. Here in the east we are to get hotter weather as well.

betty said...

If it was an "average" year no air conditioners would be needed, but this, like 2020, is not average lol :)

Having said that, I'm really sorry about the heat. It is hard if you aren't used to it or equipped for it. I love what your church is doing though to help others through this heatwave. Such a blessing I am sure!

Drink lots of water, do minimal activity, and I truly hope it cools back to normal soon for you all!

betty

Jeanie said...

I freeze the beanbags and heat wraps I use in the microwave for aches and pains (or as substitute hot water bottles in winter) and take them to bed with me -- one for my feet and clutching the others like teddy bears. It usually cools me off enough to get to sleep.

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

I feel so sorry for your guys!! When I was a girl, we would go to Oregon and Washington to visit family...and escape the heat! We are anticipating temps in the upper 90's and 100's later this week. I'm not looking forward to it. We do have air, but they are asking us not to use it unless it's necessary, or to put it on a high setting, like 75 degrees. I hope you are able to stay as cool as Beth...she's adorable!

Such a nice gesture for the church to open it's doors, I'm sure it has been a blessing for so many who are suffering from the heat.

Try to stay cool!

Hugs,
Barb

ellen b. said...

When we lived on the west side of the Cascades none of our homes had a/c. We are so thankful that we had a heat pump installed here on the hotter side of the state!! Praising God everyday for that cool air. Stay hydrated and don't do too much! That's nice that Westgate served to cool off the community!

Rebecca Jo said...

I feel like my skin is sticky just reading this.
Stay cool & safe!!!

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness!! I can't imagine heat like that with no AC. Bless your hearts. Sure hope the heatwave breaks soon for you. Keep us posted!! xp

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Wow, I didn't realize that you didn't have air conditioning. So nice of the church to take people in. That is a high temp for the evening. Here in Southern California we cool down pretty nice in the evening.