Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Pool Slide on Steroids!

It was 17 years ago today - April 19 - that we pulled back into our driveway after an eight-day seven-state road trip. We headed to Colorado to see Chuck's mom and sister but planned a few stops along the way.

In April of 2003 Diana was 12, Sharaya was 16 and Beth was 18. They were Road Trip Masters by this point. We booked a night at the Econo Lodge in Rapid City South Dakota for one reason and one reason only.

The pool.

Not only was it an indoor pool, but it had a slide. And this wasn't just any slide!


This was a slide to beat all motel pool slides!


I don't think Diana went on it but Sharaya and Beth had so much fun! We wish every hotel had a pool like this one!!

The next day we got up and headed to Mount Rushmore. Now I've heard people complain about it because technically it's only a bunch of rocks. But it really is fascinating, the enormous size of those faces, the passion Gutzon Borglum put in to all that work, as well as the beautiful scenery.

There is an interactive area with videos and models of the mountain, history, artifacts, and the gift shop. 


But once you head out to see the mountain and carvings themselves, everything changes. Behind a large amphitheater you follow a trail that takes you around the mountain, kind of winds back and forth giving you different perspectives of the carvings.





 I love a good zoom lens!


 They've even cut a path through the mountain.





One of my all-time favorite photos of my girls is of them at Mount Rushmore. I took it while they were trying to look through one of those tourist telescopes. I've been typing, then deleting, then typing and deleting, trying to explain why I like it so much. It's the three of them together, it's spontaneous, we're on a road trip, we're at a National Monument... I don't know, I just really love it!




Have you ever been to Mount Rushmore? Have you been to other National Parks or Monuments? Do you have a favorite?

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I want to see Mount Rushmore so badly in person. It just looks amazing!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

We are from Eastern South Dakota but make it out to Rapid multiple times a year. I love seeing Mount Rushmore.