Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Back In Time

I got to take Allie to school this week. Yep, my granddaughter started Kindergarten! I went with Sharaya on Monday so I'd know where to park and how to get to her class.

We get out of the car and the crossing guards (5th & 6th Graders) blow their whistles and all the cars  stop as we cross from the parking lot to the school. (Awwe! I remember when Sharaya was a crossing guard!)

As we walk in, Allie points over to a room, "That's the library." She had a bounce in her step and you could tell she was proud of her school.

Allie stood against the wall with the other 5-6 year olds to wait for the teacher to open the door. More and more kids arrived and the sound of little voices was everywhere. Teachers walking back and forth, carrying supplies, giving hi-fives to the kids.

I'd never been there before. I didn't recognize anyone, but it was all so familiar.

It's been 13 years since I was last at an elementary school. Diana, my youngest, left 6th Grade 13 years ago! Oh my word! I remember helping at Sharaya's school when she was in the 2nd grade. Every Friday, my mom or Chuck's mom would watch Diana and I would spend the day in Sharaya's class, reading to the students, helping the teacher with whatever she needed.

I remember one year they had a fun basketball tournament, letting the kids shoot hoops and whoever got the most points would move on to the next round. Well, Sharaya was one of the kids who kept moving up and one of the bigger tournaments was held at a different school. The whole family came to cheer her on! I think she was in the 3rd or 4th grade.

Seems like it was just last year.

And now, her daughter is in school. Her daughter will ask to order books from the Scholastic catalog. Her daughter will come home excited because she got picked to be a crossing guard! Sharaya will get to hear stories about what happened on the playground and all the funny things the teacher does.

Sharaya - 2nd grade



Allie - Kindergarten



It was a very strange feeling to be walking beside my daughter, watching her daughter walk to class. I can't really describe it, being in this foreign place, but feeling so at home there. Being surrounded by familiar sites and sounds but not recognizing anything.

My granddaughter is in Kindergarten. I pray she makes friends and has fun and leads her class in ways that unite them and points them toward...exceptional...! Okay, so maybe I'm getting a little carried away. I expect she'll mainly be learning simple math and how to work in a team and how to organize a backpack. But still, my daughter's daughter is in elementary school. That's a pretty big deal! I have a bounce in my step and I'm proud of them both!

No comments: