Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Do You Consider Down Syndrome to be a Blessing?

This post might be a little mixed up and not make much sense, but I'm just gonna think out loud here for a minute.

I believe that when the Lord blesses us, we should be a blessing to others. But how do we define a blessing?

I've recently felt He wants to do something at our church for people with disabilities. Our Special Connections Sunday school class is just the beginning, but I don't know what the whole picture looks like. (Isn't that just like the Lord? Showing you just one step at a time.)

Everything in my life seems to be funneling down into the world of special needs. Which I find interesting because when Beth was growing up it wasn't our focus at all. But now everything I do, everything I pray about, read about... seems to be about people with disabilities.

And leading others. But I'm not a leader so that part scares me. I grew up the youngest and don't ever remember a time in my life where I lead. Anyone or anything. A few times in my adult life I've had the opportunity but always felt like a failure. Our pastor on Sunday talked about how God used Deborah and she was a housewife. David was a shepherd... and the youngest in his family.

I'm willing, I just don't feel qualified. But I know that doesn't matter to God.

So all of this has got me thinking about Down Syndrome. If the Lord wants to use me and my perspective into the world of special needs to bless others, does that mean Down Syndrome is a blessing?

In what ways would you consider Down Syndrome - or any disability - a blessing?

And I really want to know. What are your thoughts on this?

3 comments:

Caz said...

I'm unqualified to comment on this. I don't have the faith you have and I don't have anyone close to me with lifelong special needs. But, I think that people that are close to us influence us in thousands of ways, mostly small, over a long time. So your experiences with Beth have built to a point where you are the best person to lead in this situation - but so have your experiences with your other daughters, and your granddaughter and your husband and your work colleagues. I'm not sure I think Beth has to be a special blessing. She's introduced you to the world of special needs, in the way your other daughters have shown you other worlds, good and bad. I know the faith aspect of this is huge and integral to this for you, so I may be missing what is blindingly obvious- if so I apologise. Just some early morning thoughts and best wishes from far away, and a belief that you are the right person for the role.

Laura said...

I'm only 3.5 years into life with Down syndrome. When I look at Ben, I do see that Ds changes the path his life will take. But I don't see it as a blessing or a burden. It's just who he is. And he is part of the beautiful diversity of the human race. I do think that all the friends we've made because of Ds and the way he's changed me and how I see the world, though, is a great blessing.

Jak said...

I agree that Ds is neither a blessing nor a burden - it just is. In my opinion, my daughter is the blessing, the Ds is just a chromosomal abnormality.