Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Treated Like A Diva

 About a year ago I found a little salon near our house that Beth and I fell in love with. We've been there a couple of times and Beth went again last week.
 
We looked through pictures of shoulder-length hair styles and she picked this one:
 
 
At first my heart sank because Beth has straight hair. I don't know if it's because she has Down Syndrome or not but it's very straight. I explained to her the difference between a cut and a style. That this lady's hair looks like this because after they cut it, they used a blow dryer and maybe a curling iron and it looks like this because of the way it was styled, not cut.
 
I remember when Beth was born most of the pictures of adults who had DS had short, cropped hair. We didn't know why most pictures showed that cut, but we hoped it was because many of them were living in institutions and it was easier for the caregivers to manage. But we wanted to make sure Beth's hair could grow long, and it did.



As she's gotten older though she likes it a little shorter. Probably because... it's easier to manage. 😊
 
So we confirmed that she did want her hair cut just a little past her shoulders, and when we got to the salon, we showed the photo to the stylist. She was young (to me) just turned 30 and was excited about the photo. Beth sat in the chair and Kaitlyn got to work.
 
First she shampooed her hair, then cut it and blew it dry.
 
 

 Then she began to style it. She talked to Beth about work and family while she worked her magic. And when she was done...


She loved it!! Not as big and full as the photo but a current style that Beth was so excited about! The curls were soft and exactly how she wanted them. It turned out so good, the salon asked Beth if they could take her picture.


 
Now I'm trying to replicate it. Haven't had much success yet and I keep telling Beth I need to practice, but when I'm doing her hair in the morning I'll ask her if she wants me to curl it and she sadly tells me, "Just straight." I've got to learn how to do this!

8 comments:

Billie Jo said...

I love it!!!!!! What a wonderful experience for Beth!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

She looks so pretty!! I love the new style. I hope you can figure it out too. Have you ever considered a body perm for Beth? I bet that stylist could do it so that it would help the waves and curls stay in her hair without being too extra curly/kinky. Just a thought. I know they can do wonders. But anyway, it looks so nice and I know Beth loves having a more modern stylish style, even if only for special occasions. She looks lovely!

Terri D said...

Beth's hair looks fabulous and I would love it if mine was straight. I have curls that end up looking for dried-out cotton by the end of the day. Finding a hairdresser you like and who listens to you is so great!!

Jeanie said...

It looks terrific! Well chosen and well done! And yes, you can do this.... yes, you can!

Regina said...

Beth looks so pretty but she's naturally beautiful anyway. The hairstyle is perfect for her.

Sara P. said...

Beth looks so pretty!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Just beautiful!! Could you try some heated curlers to replicate the look? I am just no good at all using curling irons and straight irons but I can use the curlers and get a similar result to what Beth got at the salon. She might even have luck at using them herself. The curlers would give her some volume, if nothing more. Might be worth a try. These are the updated version of the ones I have. Mine are probably 15 years old and still going strong.

https://amzn.to/42wBdXV

Hope maybe they will be something you can both use to replicate this lovely look.

Cathy said...

Her hair is so very pretty, long or shorter. Hope you have a great week.