Saturday, September 2, 2017

Mirrors; Seats, Autism, But Not in That Order

I recently bought some new things for my Sunday school classroom. I'm sure the younger kids will love this stuff, the problem I have is finding things that Middle and High School boys like to do.



I've purchased a tablet and put a few games on it, I have a CD player with headphones and some music... but nope. They just want to hang out. They all have autism so if you have any ideas of what 12-20 year old boys with autism like to do, please let me know! I've asked them but all they want to do is veg out. I've asked their parents but English isn't their first language. Help!

Our church has just about finished remodeling our Sanctuary. It's been going on for a month and we're so grateful to the men and women who have been working so hard to lay carpet, rebuild the platform and put the seats back in. 

This is the view from the balcony with the old, orange carpet. Now everything is blue/gray. Cool colors. 😎




Sharaya and Allie recently went to the Seattle Art Museum to see the Yayoi Kusama exhibit. It's done with mirrors and it looks amazing! They had a great time.



I've been away from the computer for a week and I really missed you. I thought about all of you a few times and wondered what you'd been up to! I hope you've all had a great week!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

Oh my, you have a challenge ahead of you! Autism, as you know, varies so much from child to child, so trying to keep them all engaged will be hard! My niece has two sons who are autistic, both on different spectrum's of that huge scale! I think you are off to a good start with tablets, music and just hanging out...good luck.

Your remodel on your church will be wonderful! What a huge space, and the blues and greys will make it seem even larger, what a wonderful place to worship!

The art museum looks fun, those mirrors are amazing!

We missed you too!

Have a fun and safe Labor Day!

Hugs,
Barb

Adelaide Dupont said...

Alison + Sharaya:

As I am writing this it is 2 years since I saw an exhibition of modern Japanese art at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane.

Yayoi and her dots and mirrors were a big part. My Uncle and I took a platform to float through the lilies and the mirrors. Sometimes the mirrors were so real.

Peeling the dots is a great amount of fun.

Of course I remember all the other artists.

About traditional Japanese art which speaks to the 21st century: the Hokusai exhibition is big and it captures my imagination and memory and knowledge of Japanese culture.