Thursday, January 19, 2012

Still Having Blogger Problems

And now my header photo is gone. Sigh.

I haven't been happy with Blogger lately!! I haven't been on here much because I just haven't wanted to deal with it. I really haven't. (Have I said 'haven't' enough yet?)

So much has been happening around here - we've had a major snow storm here in Seattle. Right now we have more than 7 inches of snow in our backyard. It might not seem like a lot to some but most years we only see 1 or 2 inches. Some years we don't get any snow. So for us to have 7 inches is a major event. Parts of Seattle have a foot or more. County offices are closed, busses aren't running, many businesses are shut down. People are snowed in! In Seattle!

I caught some bug on Tuesday. Spent the last 2 days on the couch. Haven't been able to play in the snow although tonight we made snow ice cream.

We had Beth's ISP meeting last week. The state comes out once a year to make sure Beth is being taken care of physically, vocationally, and to confirm the amount she gets paid from the state. Her case worker really encouraged me to confront Beth's job coach about her unemployment. The state pays the vocational service for 8-12 hours a month. At this meeting we learned they are only spending 3 hours a month helping her find a job! She's been unemployed for 8 months! Why is it taking so long? I know jobs can be hard to find but it's not impossible. Beth had a working interview at our local grocery store a few months ago but her job coach told me they weren't hiring. However, about a month ago (did I already tell you this?) we saw a friend of Beth's working there. He also has down syndrome and told us that he used to work at a different store and had recently been transferred to this store. Really?? So did the job coach lie to me? Did the store lie to her? Her case worker was shocked. She basically told me that they're not doing a good job. She wants me to pester the vocational service. Email, call, keep on Beth's job coach so they actually use the 8-12 hours they're being paid. It was good to know she was on our side.

It was a few days after this meeting that the snow hit. We've been dealing with it for 6 days now. I just heard the forecaster say we could get more snow tonight! Wow. This is so rare for Seattle. When we do get snow it's usually gone within a day or two. So many people are without power. A lot of ice, downed trees. Our family is doing well, but many are not. The snow has been fun but I think we're all ready to get back to good 'ol rain!!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Blogger's been on my poop list lately, too. :-(

Interesting about the job at the store - I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say about that, if anything!

Btw, we are probably going to be in Seattle in March for a few days. Hope to see you guys!

Kristen's mom said...

Cindy,
I used picnik to make my header. You'll need an account but it is free.
Once you sign into picnik choose 'make collage.'
1. choose your template
2. upload pictures
3. once you put the pictures in the spot you want them you can move the picture either up or down or right or left.
4. choose color for borders by clicking the little grayish/black box under the templates.
5. once it looks good click "done"
6. it takes you to another page where you can add a text.
7. type in your text and choose a font and then click add.
8. now you play with it as far as size, color and where you want it.
9. when it is the way you want it then click 'share and save'
10. I had to save mine a few times to get it the right size for my blog. I finally ended up saving it at 900 for the width.
11. save photo to your computer.
12. when you add it to your blog, make sure to click 'instead of title'
Hope that helps!
I also googled "How to make a blog header?" and that helped me a lot.

You must have all the snow we have been waiting for all winter. It is seriously raining her. That is practically unheard of in January.

Kristin said...

Hope your're feeling better soon! Let me know if you have any more bloggy questions :) Great suggestion from Polly (Kristen's mom) to use picnik.

*Tasha* said...

I live right in the University District and we haven't lost power at all. People are walking around and there are a few cars. But U District is unique in that most of the employees there live in the area and can walk to work! I feel lucky.

Anyway, I digress. I had a rehabilitation counselor (I'm deaf) who was SIMPLY TERRIBLE. This person constantly called in sick, didn't get to things in a timely manner, etc. I tried for almost two years before I decided to switch to a different person. That has made a WORLD of difference! It's saved me a lot of headache, so if there's any way you could change her job coach, it might actually help things a great deal.

Also, maybe when you're just out and about in the community, you can ask if they're hiring or might have a spot for Beth. It can't hurt to ask... the store thing seems strange. Hopefully that works out.