Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sneaky Stroll

Beth loves to walk to the corner store near our house. It's about two blocks away and she has to cross a busy street but she's been doing it for so long, I know she knows how to do it, when to cross and how to be safe. And besides, I just don't watch. :)

However, there is an interesting thing about her walks to the store.

I was watching her from our yard, taking pictures with my zoom lens when she spotted me and stopped walking.



I 'hid' behind the tree until she started walking again!


 

On the move again I took one more picture before going into the house.


She won't come or go through the front door!
Into the back yard by way of the chain link fence....


Then in the back door! That little sneak!
I startled her by taking her picture, can you tell? :)


 
She uses the front door when DART is here to pick her up or when we're going somewhere as a family. But when she wants to walk to the store, it's out the back door, through the gate and away she goes! I think she gets this crazy behavior from her father's side.

3 comments:

Mom of 12 said...

Isn't it funny how kids with disabilities just fall into patterns and that's how they do things? My Nate would walk through a burning fire if it interrupted his normal routine...
Sandy

Kristin said...

Hehe. Maybe it makes her feel just a little more independent.

Laurie said...

Hi Cindy,
Sorry I didn't get back to you before this. Somehow, I missed the comment you left on my blog. Today I was trying to figure out how to add a tab on my blog.... and poof... I saw several comments that I hadn't seen before!! I'm a bad blogger, not very regular at it. But like you, I do wish I could find more blogs of families with "olders" with ds. :) I'm still adjusting to Nevin being an "adult" ..... wait til you see my blog post about his tatoo... yikes! I've enjoyed finding your blog and hope we can stay in touch!