Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hopping Isn't the Right Word

Beth is still getting up on time, getting herself ready and hopping on her bus! Well, hop might not be the best word to use, maybe more like slowly... climbs... onto.

Wednesday mornings the DART bus comes between 9:30 and 10:00. Beth was still asleep but I controlled the overwhelming desire to go downstairs and wake her up! I don't know why that's so hard. At 10:00 her bus arrived and I went downstairs to see if she was awake. I was a little surprised to see her standing in the middle of her livingroom, she was still kinda groggy, but she was dressed! We got her lunch and cleaned her glasses and out the door she went!

I don't know why I'm surprised when she gets out on time but I am.

DART stands for Dial A Ride Transportation. We had to fill out a 12 page application in order to get her on DART. Then they sent us the approval, letting us know she was approved to ride. And now they pick her up at our house and drop her off at the door of wherever she's going. The bowling alley, work, wherever. She's on a set schedule; she goes to the same places each week but if we want to add a ride or cancel one, we just call 'em and they take care of it.

We love DART. It allows Beth some independance and she likes having her own life as far as she isn't always counting on us to get her places. I have the van, Dad takes Community Transit and she takes DART. They have been a Godsend for us.



1 comment:

Becca said...

That's wonderful that they do that! I have a feeling most cities or municipalities have something similar. I'm glad Beth made it today - I know that's been quite a challenge! :-)