Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dreading This Day - Part 2

Beth came upstairs at around 12:30. Dressed in her long blue dress that she likes to wear to karaoke. And she had her tote (with all of her CD's, notebooks, pens and stuff) and her purse. She came out to the kitchen to read the note I always post for her telling her what time her bus comes, etc. Only the note wasn't there. I had written a list of chores for her to do instead.

I told her that she was not going today because her bus had already come. A long time ago. She quietly went to the fridge, got out her lunch and was taking it to her bag when I told her to put it away. "Beth, you were awake last night and you slept this morning. Your bus came this morning. You missed it. You're not going today."

She stomped her foot and said, "Nooo!" She angrily put her lunch back and went downstairs.

She is doing her chores, but certainly not with a smile on her face or a skip in her step! There have been a few slammed doors and some really loud singing, but seriously not as bad as I was expecting.

We'll have dinner, then tonight at 10:00 I'll go downstairs....


Kristin said...

Good luck. Being a mom is hard :)

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

hope the rest of the day went alright and that she is tired and wants to go to bed early and be ready for the bus tomorrow! thinking of you :)

Becca said...

Whew! Sounds like the point was made. I hope today goes better and that she makes her bus!

Beth said...

Good for you!
Now that I'm back from my trip, I've been catching up. A thought came to me when reading about all the sleep issues Beth is having/choosing to have. Has she been tested for apnea? Could there be a physiological basis for some of this? Some times I try to tease out what is habit/behavior and what is not. I'm sure there's some of both in most issues.
Our neurologist says that 90% of individuals with Ds have some measure of apnea, and the other 10% just haven't been caught yet.
Another idea to consider is melatonin--see if that works on her.
In the meantime, I hope Beth learns her lesson well. (I call those long chore lists a "Cinderella day".)