Sunday, February 24, 2019

MOPOP

Sharaya invited us to go with her and Allie to the Museum of Pop Culture in downtown Seattle last week and we had such a great time!

I believe it first opened in 2000, and it was the EMP, the Experience Music Project. The architecture is unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's been said that the architect took a bunch of guitars, sliced them into pieces and used that as inspiration for the design.



 (These two are from Google)



We decided to take the train (The Light Link) from the University of Washington, then transfer to the Monorail that took us right to the museum.


The train






The Monorail





That's Sharaya in the jean jacket :)





There are different areas to the museum, the Horror section with props and items from Chucky, they had Freddie Kruger's Glove, etc. That wasn't my favorite section, I just don't like to be scared.

But the Fantasy area had things from the Wizard of Oz and  Chronicles of Narnia. There was a Sci-Fi area with Star Wars and Back To The Future... it really was a fun museum with a wide variety of things.



Susan's bow and arrows from Chronicles of Narnia


A space portal



This was an interactive... thing where you could change the look of this sphere to be different planets. It was very cool and one of Allie's favorite exhibits!




We had our picture taken with The Thing from the Fantastic Four




I guess he didn't get Chuck's joke  :)


I am Groot!




I got to see the sound board Jimi Hendrix used. I used to run sound at our church years ago before everything went digital and I still get a rush when I see old boards like this.





They had a massive display of various guitars and accordions and banjos... I don't know how they got them all up there - it was 2 stories high - but there were some interesting instruments on this thing!




We had lunch and just wandered around. Of course we had to go to the gift shop! Beth bought a t shirt (with an image of all those instruments!) and Allie got a book I think.

It was such a great time just being with family and seeing something new. Thank you so much Sharaya for inviting us to go with you!

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I would absolutely love this place. I love museums full of pop culture things!

ellen b. said...

Such a great idea to use the light rail and monorail instead of fighting downtown traffic and parking. Glad you all had a good time.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Greetings.

God bless.