Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To Answer Your Questions: Lenox and No :)

I've had a couple of you ask questions - my first Q&A post! WooHoo!! It's the simple things that make me happy. :)

The first question came from Leah at The Garden of Eagan. She is thinking about getting an alarm clock for Angela. You can read Angela's blog It's My Life Mom here.

Beth's alarm clock is a Lenox Sound. It's got AM/FM Radio and a CD player. I usually set the time for Beth, but she can set the alarm. Hold the Alarm button, then push another for Hour. Then she stops and shakes out her hands. :) A second time she holds the Alarm button and pushes the Minute button. More shaking of the hands. She occasionally double clicks the Set button so I still go down each morning while she's still asleep to check, but 95% of the time, she does it right. The CD player no longer works so we need to get her a new one. I'm a little nervous about that. I'm going to look for one very similar to the one she has.


This one is pretty old, but she knows how to use it. Familiarity is huge in Beth's life. If she's comfortable with something and knows how to use it without help, we tend to keep it until it dies. Using it by herself makes her feel independant. That's so important to her and to us. 

And I just have to show you, she keeps her clock on her nightstand, right below..... Nick!




The other question came from Becca at The Bates Motel. She asked if I knew many older people with Down Syndrome or if most of the blogs I follow have younger kids. The latter is correct. I wonder if most people, well maybe not most, but some people who have older kids with Ds even have blogs. Computers weren't around when Beth was growing up. We got our first home computer when Beth was in Junior High. And it was one of those big, old, gray monsters with a dot matrix printer. I think dot matrix is right, the paper had the holes down the sides and you had to rip the page.... well anyway. I would love to find some blogs from parents who have adult children with Down Syndrome. I only follow two or three but even they are younger than Beth. I feel like the Grammy of the Ds blog world. :)

So if any of you know of blogs from parents of adults with Ds or the even the adults themselves, please let me know. I'd love to get in touch and find out what life has been like for them.  

Thank you for your questions! Makes me feel needed! :)
Have a good day!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Yep, I'd love to know where those blogs of the adults w/Ds are, too. Thanks for answering!!

coffeemom said...

I'd love to find blogs of teens w/ DS or intellectual disability. I have adopted a teen daughter w/ intellectual disability and devel delays.... and this is a whole new learning curve for me...would love ot compare notes!

Anonymous said...

http://sarahely8989.blogspot.com/

This is a nice one. :)

Unknown said...

I just think the poster of Nick is the coolest thing : ) I wish I could talk Gary into letting me have one for our bedroom : ).

Cathleen said...

My daughter is only 4 so we can't help with the "older" blogs. But just wanted to say that Lilly has a huge crush on the Jonas Brothers and has a poster of them her room as well - yes at the age of 4! But she definitely prefers Zac Efron. :) Your daughter is beautiful, I really enjoy reading about her.