Saturday, October 20, 2012

31 For 21 - The World Kept Going

When Beth was born, my hospital room was a constant buzz of activity, as I'm sure are all rooms of parents who've just given birth to a baby with special needs.

That diagnoses consumed me. It was everything and it was all that mattered. 

But the world kept going. Outside that hospital room, construction was going on in the city. Lawyers were walking into their offices preparing for their next case. Parents were at home putting one more load of laundry into the dryer. Police officers were writing tickets.

But looking back now, it seemed that in that hospital room, the world had stopped. For 4 days my life was completely saturated with Down Syndrome. The outside world seemed like a foreign place to me.

But once we got home, the world seemed to come into focus again. We picked back up where we had left off. Only now we had a gorgeous baby girl to join us.

                                            ----------------------------------------------

One of the things I wrote in Beth's baby book was a list of movies and TV shows that were popular at the time she was born.

On TV there was:
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
The Cosby Show
Family Ties

Movies:
Ghostbusters
The Woman in Red
Revenge of the Nerds
Star Trek 3
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom



The world kept going.

1 comment:

JC said...

I remember feeling very much the same way when Russell was born. It was like time stood still in my hospital room for that entire first week...And yet the outside world kept going...I just didn't feel connected to it.

Love reading these reflections posts of yours. They're beautiful.