Wednesday, October 31, 2012

31 For 21 - If I Had A Chance To Say One Thing

October 31st. The last day of Down Syndrome Awareness month. I feel like I failed. I don't believe I brought awareness to anyone outside the Ds community. I posted (almost) every day... to other parents who are already aware of Down Syndrome. But if I had an opportunity, say a commercial spot that would be broadcast to the world, or maybe my state, or city, what would I tell them?


Just say Hi. When you walk by, just say hi to her. She's a person. She has hopes, dreams and goals, just like you. She has hobbies, just like you. She laughs, she gets her feelings hurt, she loves, she cries. She wants people to like her, just like you. She likes to hang out with friends, just like you. She's compassionate. She doesn't judge. Give her a chance. Just say Hi. You may find that she's more like you than you know. You may find that you have more in common than you expect. You may find that she's the lifelong friend you've been looking for. Just say Hi.


I've been thinking about this for a few days now but still don't feel like I could say anything that would change the world. Plain words aren't going to do it. People have to want to change. People have to begin to think differently. But what if my words change just one person? What if it did bring awareness to someone, just one, who could then change the world of someone who has Down Syndrome?

11 comments:

Caz said...

Irony have a child with Down Syndrome, and I've been thankful for your posts, and impressed that you've managed them. I'll do my best to take what you've taught me forward.

Stella said...

I just want to let you know that I am infact, not a parent of a child with Down Syndrome, and I've been reading your blog for awhile :)
Actually I don't really have any friends or family with Down Syndrome, but somehow I stumbled across your blog and I've been sort of fascinated with it.
So just so you know, there's a nineteen year old college student reading along too! You aren't just preaching to the choir... other random people have found their way here too!

ckbrylliant said...

I hear you and feel your discontent. But just look at comment #2!!!!

Nan said...

See how many are reading?!!! Woo hoo girl! AND there is a great deal of awareness as you move forward ahead of all the other mamas with tinies who find your blog and find Beth and hence, find hope! That's alot. Remember ... you just have to show up, to do it, and God will take care of the rest (the outcome). Bravo on a great 31! I can't believe I actually did it either! Well. And NOW its Down syndrome awareness week in Canada. So I've go to keep going!

JC said...

I have enjoyed your posts this month Cindy...I especially liked this one...Telling people to just say hi...That's perfect, it's what people need to hear. I think you raised awareness even if you don't feel that you did.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog - and todays post said it all...very well written. I also have no immediate family with Ds, but its always a learning experience to read along with your family story! I enjoy every post, and have learned alot by reading them.

Caz said...

Cindy, that comment of mine above is meant to say I don't have a child with Down Syndrome...

Anonymous said...

No child with DS or family memeber. I can not recall a time I meet someone with DS. In fact, I have two typical children. I have been reading blogs that belong to the DS families and Reece Rainbow famlies,something draws me to them.

You raised awareneed for me and my family.I know what I need to teach my kids and ask them to teach their friends. It's about respect and we are all human's that deserve it.

Thank you for rasing that awarenees for me and my children and hopefully their friends and families.

Sara P. said...

Cindy, I don't know how I started reading your blog, but I don't have any connection to the DS community. But I loved this entry. So you definitely raised awareness today.

Monique said...

I am like others on here who have already commented. I do not have any members in my family with DS but I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning. I have noticed I am more aware now and am sure to teach my two kiddos the same. Thank you!!

Mom of 12 said...

You are such a good mom! I don't have that much experience with DS, but I do know Autism.
Sandy