Monday, October 8, 2012

31 For 21 - Unsuccessful

I tried making an appointment for Beth's thyroid treatment today during my lunch hour. I wasn't successful.

I work about 4 minutes from home so I always go home for lunch. Today I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and after I put away the groceries, that's when I remembered I needed to call the doctor!

I was on hold for almost 10 minutes and needed to go back to work so I hung up. Two minutes later they called me. It's a little complicated, this whole procedure thing.

Beth has Graves Disease and is on medication to help regulate it. Except her thyroid speeds up and then slows down so they keep adjusting her meds. It's causing her to gain weight, she sometimes seems depressed... There is a treatment that will kill her thyroid, then she'll take a hormone pill that will do the work of the thyroid. But they'll be able to figure out that dosage fairly easily and she'll just take that amount for the rest of her life.

For the treatment, she'll be taking radiation in pill form and will have to be quarantined for 3 days. The pill will be in a sealed jar and she'll go into a room by herself, unscrew the lid and take the pill. Then we come home and she goes downstairs. And she stays downstairs except to go to the bathroom. Beth's apartment is in the daylight basement and both bathrooms are upstairs. We aren't allowed to use the bathroom she uses, I think that will be the toughest part. I don't expect this to be very hard, but it's gonna take a lot of planning and prep work.

Anyway Beth's doctor wrote something unusual on her chart and the staff won't schedule the appointment until he clarifies it.

He's on vacation this week.  

2 comments:

Nan said...

I thought she did the kill the thyroid treatment last year sometime?? I remember looking it up because I had never heard of it ... do you have to do it a few times?
Here's hoping you get it sorted out!

Unknown said...

Well this maybe a little frustrating! Or really frustrating! Hope everything works out sooner then later! I bet you all want to get this going...smiles