Saturday, October 6, 2012

31 For 21 - A Novelty

Beth is a shy, introverted adult. She doesn't talk much, doesn't make a splash. She doesn't 'light up a room' when she enters. She doesn't have many any friends. But she did make an impact on two people. Two people who I always thought were cold, harsh and selfish.

When Beth was born, people came out of the woodwork to see her. My hospital room was always packed with people. My doctor relaxed the rules and allowed as many people in the room as possible. Beth was brought in a-n-y-t-i-m-e someone came. I didn't realize this wasn't the norm until day 3, when my dad came to visit and Beth wasn't allowed in my room. The nurse said my doctor had wanted to see how the family treated Beth. When he saw how much everyone loved her, he knew she would be fine and put the restrictions back in place. Sneaky doctor. :)

On the day we went home, our house was packed with people. We lived in a small, one bedroom apartment but everyone was there. Even our apartment manager came up to see how we were!


 

   


In our church, we believe a person has to make a decision to accept Christ before they can be water baptized, so we dedicate babies. Usually it's the parents and siblings if there are any. When Beth was born, the whole family showed up!!



But the people who surprised me most were my grandma and grandpa on my moms side. Her dad and step mom. My grandma didn't have kids. She didn't want kids. She didn't like kids. When we'd visit them all we heard was, "Don't go into that room. Don't touch that. That's not for you." Their lives were all about themselves and their money. 

Until Beth was born.



They came to the hospital. They didn't come to the hospital when our other girls were born and I don't remember them visiting my sisters when their kids were born. Just Beth. They were enamored with her. Just wanted to stare at her. This... this baby who had a condition that they'd only heard about. Now there was one in their family!

They came to her birthday parties and they started coming to other family functions. They'd show up at Christmas, with presents! They sent cards and always stayed in touch. They became more a part of the family and I think they softened a little.

That little baby. That tiny, extra chromosome. Who knew??

3 comments:

Jennifer Scott said...

It's amazing how our children soften the rough edges of some people. I'm so glad you were able to see that side of them. :)

Nan said...

Wow, how beautiful is this! And the photos!!!! So much love!

JC said...

Oh, I am loving these posts Cindy! This was lovely to read...The pictures of Beth with her Grandparents melt my heart.