Wednesday, November 29, 2023

The Stage Was Set

 We spent days setting up and prepping for Thanksgiving. There were more than 500 volunteers this year! That's a record.
 
 Our reception area - with coffee, tea and snacks. 
Plus a few areas with games and puzzles for the kids.
 
 



 
Our clothing bank. 
Everything throughout the entire day was free.

 


 Preparing the 'dining room' and the server stations
 


 
Then the stage was set and the guests were brought in.


 
This was taken at one of our outreaches before covid


The servers resetting the tables for the second seating
With all three seatings we served more than 1100 guests


 
Can you guess which one was the entertainer?


He's phenomenal! He goes by Chagy, (Shaggy) He's bilingual and does the show in both Spanish and English. At once! A sentence in one and then the other. And he doesn't skip a beat. He absolutely captivates the audience - they laugh and clap and cheer. I peeked in one time and every one was captivated! Every face looking at the stage. And best of all? He explains the gospel so well. More than 80 people gave their lives to the Lord!
 
We had our family Thanksgiving on Friday (forgot to take pictures) so I was up, put the turkey in the oven and got the house ready for Sharaya and Ally. After dinner we played Mexican Train and had lemon meringue pie for dessert. Then I was back at work on Saturday to help the custodians get the building ready for Sunday. Sunday of course was church and I taught my Sunday school class.

On Monday we got the day off so I was able to just relax. Stayed in my bathrobe the entire day. Took a shower... and put on clean pajamas. 😊 And watched one of my favorite movies of all time: The Little Drummer Boy. The old stop-motion version that came out in the 1960s. Every time I see it I'm taken back to my seven year old self sitting cross-legged on the living room floor completely mesmerized. 




When Aaron admits to the king that he doesn't have anything worthy to give the Baby Jesus, I can't help but feel the same way, and the tears come. Then he humbly chooses to give the only thing he knows, he plays his drum. As small and insignificant as Aaron thinks it is, that little baby, the Lord Jesus accepts it, and accepts Aaron.  ♫"And then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum..." Brings me to tears even now. We're all His children. He still accepts us today, still wants us to come to Him, still smiles at us. He is such a good and Holy God. 

We have so much to be thankful for.
  

8 comments:

Tina said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

What a great event your church hosts! Glad it went well.

Jeanie said...

What a successful event! It looks like such fun for the people. And nice you could enjoy your family holiday, too!

Terri D said...

Wow! Your gift to so many is pretty amazing!! 1100 served and 500 volunteers!! Wow. So many blessings given!! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca Jo said...

Those stop motion shows do bring back the memories - dont they???

I am in awe of all the things you had for free - what a service to the community!!!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow, what a Thanksgiving blessing for so many people! That is amazing!! I'm glad you were given an extra day off to recuperate! I am sure you needed it. That movie is so special...I don't know that I've seen it, and now I want to. Thank you for sharing it. Giving our heart to Jesus is the best gift we can give.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! This is such an amazing thing you do, my friend. So many are blessed by your hard work and giving hearts. And we love The Little Drummer Boy. One of our very favorites. Happy December!

ellen b. said...

Amazing event your church puts on. So good to have so many volunteers. I love a bathrobe kind of day! Happy December to you.