Saturday, November 18, 2023

Countdowwn, Turkey Toss, One of Her Favorite Things

 Hello,
 
Five days before Thanksgiving. For us the holiday is focused on our church outreach. We feed about 1200 from our community: the homeless, first responders who are on duty, immigrants, and entire families. They come to have their photos taken, enjoy a complete Thanksgiving meal, access to our clothing bank, and a fun show that includes the gospel. Plus there are more than 400 volunteers.
 
We've been prepping for months and tomorrow begins room set ups. It's a grueling week but by the weekend, I'm so grateful to have been a part of such an amazing outreach. Something our family has been a part of for more than 25 years. These are from last year...
 
 
 
 We have Translators



 We'll have our family Thanksgiving on Friday. Sharaya and Ally will come over, we'll watch our traditional after-dinner movie and play games. And we'll probably video chat with Diana and Peter. Then on Saturday...
 
 This is what I plan to do all day! 😊
 

 Beth and I got our hair cut this week. Same styles, just shorter. I suggested we take a selfie together but she didn't seem excited about that idea. So I just took one of her, then took mine when I got home. She'll talk for days about everyone who will see how different she looks, "I can show my friends on Tuesday!" "My sisters will be surprised!" She loves getting her hair cut!
 


 We had our Third Annual Turkey Toss at work last week. The Executive Assistant comes up with the most fun and crazy events for us - the goal is to see who can throw a frozen, wrapped-in-duct-tape turkey the farthest. This year there was a Lightweight division, for those of us over 55 (and there are a lot actually!) I think ours was a game hen. Anyway, there was hot chocolate... and lots of laughter!
 


 See the blue dot at the top of the yellow tree? That's the turkey!
Some of them threw 29 feet, 31 feet! It was crazy far!
 
 
I don't know if you can make out the blue chalk inside the circle. They put our initials where our throws landed. And you see the traffic cone? Right there at the starting line? That's my throw. Yep, 4 feet. I thought I would try to toss it like I was bowling but it slipped out of my hand! There were no actual prizes, just the honor of titles like Highest Toss, Farthest Toss, and mine? I got Biggest Oops! 😂 I absolutely love where I work! We have the most fun!


 I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving. I pray no one is alone this weekend and that you get to share a meal with others. Whether it's with family, or friends or if you come to an outreach like ours, maybe with friends you haven't met yet. I'm thankful for you. You bless me more than you'll ever know. May the Lord bless you too!

5 comments:

ellen b. said...

That is such a special Thanksgiving outreach. I can imagine the exhaustion by the end of the week but also the satisfaction of all who were blessed!

Terri D said...

I love your Thanksgiving outreach! A blessing for all. Last year, I had covid and had to cancel dinner for nine of my friends. This year I will be with family but will miss cooking. I did get a 10lb turkey to make for "leftovers"! LOL Blessings!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I love seeing this Thanksgiving tradition every year at your church. Such a cool event to reach out to the community!

Regina said...

I love Thanksgiving. Our church has an outreach where we handout Thanksgiving boxes each year to needy families.
Yours and Beth's pictures came out lovely.You too are very beautiful ladies. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, that turkey toss looks like a lot of fun. I am sure I would have done what you did, maybe even worse, since my arms don't really function all that well anymore. I probably wouldn't have even been able to hold it! LOL. But it sure looks like fun. I love what your church does for the community. That is really special. I am thinking that next year our church needs to host something for those who have no family or place to go for Thanksgiving day. It could even be a potluck, with the church providing the turkey and basics. We have a lot of snow birds and elderly who are alone in our church, and I feel bad for them to be alone. We do have a Christian run soup kitchen in our town that provides meals for the homeless and anyone who really needs a place to eat. I know they served Thanksgiving dinner too. But I'm thinking more of the lonely people in our church. I may have to pray about that before next year. You've inspired me. Love you and Beth's haircuts. You both look so nice. Beth looks very happy and her haircut is perfect!! I hope you are relaxing this weekend! Enjoy...you need it I am sure!! Thank you for doing what you do for others!!