Saturday, May 24, 2014

Figuring Out What She Is and Isn't Comfortable Doing

Beth works two days a week. Her DART bus picks her up at 3:00 and drops her back at home anywhere between 9:30 and 10:30 PM. Needless to say, she misses dinner. So for those two days, she eats for lunch, what we're having for dinner.

Beth has a microwave downstairs in her apartment and uses it all the time. But she's still nervous about using our stove upstairs. She likes to use it, don't get me wrong. It makes her feel SO grown up and independent, but it makes her nervous. So I only let her use it with supervision.

Last night for dinner we had turkey patties and macaroni & cheese. This afternoon I let her come up and fix her own.

She has trouble reading the print on the stove so I tell her, "Turn the front burner on 6". She'll study the knobs until she's sure it says 'front', then responds with, "Oh!" Like, 'I got this!'

She told me, "I'm gonna go get the rest of my food while I wait for this."

Awesome! Into the pantry she went and came out a few seconds later. I had to tell her it was time to flip the burger. Her coordination isn't the best and she has a hard time doing that, as you can see by the look on her face. But she did it!

 
 
After a few minutes, she turned the burger to look at the underside, but didn't say anything. I asked her if she thought it was done, "I think so."
 
"Yea, it looks done to me, too."
 
 
 
At first she turned the burner in the wrong direction but caught herself and turned it off. She put the burger on her plate and proudly took it downstairs. It's the little things. :) 

3 comments:

Caz said...

Your patience and commitment as a mother and a teacher aren't little. It's those huge lifelong things too.

Anna Theurer said...

Yay Beth! I still can cook a burger or chicken to save my life :-P

Unknown said...

I have to be honest.....I'm terrified of a gas stove! We always had an electric one growing up and I've managed just fine with that. I'm sure I could learn to use it if we ever moved to a house with a gas stove, but there would be some unsettling moments for me in the beginning. I think we all have to learn our own comfort zones.