Friday, June 30, 2023

What Do They Eat?

 Hi everyone,
 
I'm spending 2-3 hours a day on the Israel book but I have just a couple more pages to fill and I'll be done. Then proofreading and hitting that Submit button! Of course, then comes the really hard part... waiting for it to come in the mail!

Meanwhile, we're going to work, doing laundry, grocery shopping and just living life. Beth cleans the preschool at our church but when they're out for the summer, I have to find other things for her to do. This week she disinfected the seats in the sanctuary and cleaned the sinks in some of the bathrooms. She's glad to be doing something different.

Remember the Junkos? The birds who build a nest in the wreath on our porch every year? well every December I switch it with a Christmas wreath. Hanging it back up this year I noticed there is a little hook in the back, so I've been hanging it upside down all these years. Not that you can really tell. Supposedly, this is right side up -


This spring the Junkos showed up and mom and dad were hanging around the porch but I never saw the nest. Until one day I noticed it in the back, near the top!



I guess that's where their scent was from years past (or however birds remember where their nests were) and built it as close to that as possible! I've been so afraid that it was going to fall off but it never did, thank goodness. And now those little babies have flown the coop. Next year I'm going to turn that wreath back around!





I planted all kinds of purple and white pansies this year. Five pots full in the front yard and they were really looking nice.


Then the bunnies appeared. And the pansies disappeared...


 
I think next year I'll plant Geraniums. Do rabbits eat Geraniums?

3 comments:

Latane Barton said...

A yard filled with wild life and fun and such sweet little birdies that are right on your wreath. Be careful removing the nest... wear a mask... my daughter caught a very serious virus that affected her lungs (for the rest of her life) by removing an old bird nest. Just a word of caution... wouldn't wish that disease on anybody!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How sweet to find that nest in the wreath (again). We have had some interesting events here with our bluebirds and their nests. Sadly this last nest ended up with three unhatched eggs. This has been happening a lot with the 2nd batches of bluebirds. I think because it is just too hot to be trying to hatch eggs. I don't know if bunnies eat geraniums or not. I know deer will eat petunias and lilies. Put a bar or pieces of a bar of pure ivory soap in your flowers and the critters will stay away. I'm told Irish Spring works that way too. I know it worked with deer, but I don't know about bunnies. Good luck! And God bless you all.

Terri D said...

How interesting about the bird nest!! Yes, turn it upside down for next year!! The rabbits thank you, I'm sure. WHat a shame though! Glad Beth enjoyed her new duties!! Have a blessed Sunday and week ahead!