Saturday, March 5, 2022

Watching The Ocean

Chuck and I got away for a few days this passed week. We planned this in January and I'm so thankful we did. Born and raised in San Diego I love the ocean and certainly didn't appreciate it as much as I should have when I lived there. 

We live on the east side of Puget Sound, a waterway between Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula so we're five minutes from the water. But we're a three hour drive from the ocean.

We went to Ocean Shores and got there around 2:30 Monday afternoon. The weather was cold, rainy and windy. Oooh that wind was cold!



 

This was our view when we arrived. And it was like this for a couple days.


 

We went to the grocery store and bought stuff for breakfasts and dinners but we usually went out for lunch. We played games, read books, walked along the beach, we did whatever we wanted! By Wednesday afternoon the clouds began to part and the view was beautiful! There was so much wildlife there too. One night we drove around the peninsula at dusk and saw 24 deer in about 2 miles!


Little Sandpipers were all over the beach. It's a little hard to see them in the second photo but all those little spots are Sandpipers!



 

I walked along the beach every single day. And every day it was different! Shells and rocks, driftwood and shifting sand. Looking out the window one day, I saw a bald eagle! 

All bundled up and ready to go out!


There were two paths going from the back of the building by the pool, out to the beach.



Looking back, our room was on the top floor. I spent a lot of time out on that balcony!





 


In this picture you can see on the right side, the affect the wind had on the sand compared to the ocean washing up on it.


 

Then on Wednesday afternoon the sun came out!! Oh you guys, it was glorious!!





 



Walking back to the condo, I'm coming to the end of the path and run into this... they really were everywhere!


 

On Thursday, I pulled the chair up to the window and I sat there for three hours. I didn't stress about work. I didn't think about things going on in the world. I just watched the water. I watched the waves crash. I watched the tide come in. I just sat and watched the ocean.

 

And I thought about how blessed I am: I have a loving family; I've had amazing opportunities that many haven't had. This trip being one of them. The Lord has been so good to me and I'm humbled by the grace He pours out to me day after day. 

Have you had an opportunity recently to just 'watch the ocean'?

5 comments:

ellen b. said...

It's been a long while since I've been at the ocean. What a wonderful time away you had. I love the beach in winter! Beautiful photos...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so glad you were able to get away. Sorry it was chilly but the pictures are beautiful. Love the rainbow!

Terri D said...

I haven't been over to the beach since Joe and I went to Clearwater Beach and had a delicious seafood lunch at Frenchy's. Our beaches are usually so crowded, making just watching the waves not possible. I do get it though. It can be mesmerizing and so calming. I'm glad you and your sweetie had that great time away!! xo

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

I destressed just reading your post! I haven't been to the ocean for about 5 years, maybe more. I love the West coast, we went there every year when I was growing up...we had family in Oregon and Washington. Your pictures were beautiful, and I'm so glad you had a chance to just de-stress and enjoy your week! :0)

Hugs,
Barb

Billie Jo said...

Cindy, What an absolute blessed time for you and your man! It sounds perfect, cozy, relaxing, and restful. Thank you for sharing the photos, as I felt I could hear and smell that ocean right through the screen. Have a cozy evening, my friend.