Monday, August 16, 2021

Antiques, Backyard Desserts, Strange Noises

For about 10 years our church has had a men's home for those coming out of addiction. And we just recently purchased a second home for single women. Our staff had a picnic out there last week to tour the home and just hang out together. It's a stunning property, with I think about 4 acres of woods and a creek... the home is very old with so many antique features.

The doorbell ~






This is a little gazebo type structure that looks like it was created for fairies! That pink thing is a mirror...


There's a lot of remodeling to be done but I'm glad they're going to try and save as much of it as they can. This place is going to bless so many women and the families who love them.


 

I went out to our backyard last week and picked 4 cups of blackberries! They've been growing wild back there for a couple years and this year we've got a great crop! I harvested... and Chuck made the cobbler. It was so good!



 

The new washing machine is working great! I was a little nervous at first because it shows it will only use about 3 inches of water in this massive machine, how is it even going to get everything wet? There are so many new settings but once we figured out what we wanted, we tested it with a load of towels and everything came out clean, and wet! We're still getting used to the unusual sounds coming from this thing...

Spushhh!...

Spushhh!...

Gush... then silence for 20 seconds.

Clump...

Clump...

I kind of wish we'd have gotten the one with the clear lid so we could see what it's doing! "Look ma! No agitator!"


It's the one on the right. You can see just how many options there are. It's very different but so far we love it!

Do you have antiques in your home?

Do you like to do major projects around the house?

Has your family been affected by addiction?

8 comments:

Susan said...

That is nice that church has homes. Our church has several missionaries and we have a monthly food give away. We also have a program called the James Club that is a group for those in addiction recovery. That cobbler looks really good too!

betty said...

That is great about the house for the women as well as the house your church has had for the men. It is such a valuable service to provide! I like the house too that was picked for the women! Oh my, that cobbler looked delicious! Yay that you are enjoying the new washer! I know what you mean, ours is 5 years old but it did make more unique noise than our other one. And sometimes it is silent and I think the load is done, but it isn't lol, and then it does a loud spin and rinse :)

betty

Terri D said...

No real antiques except some glassware. I like to pay for major renovations but can't afford it right now. Thankfully, my family has not been affected by addiction. That home is beautiful and will be a blessing for so many! Blessings! xo

Rebecca Jo said...

Addiction... it sadly took the life of Ricky's brother at the age of 40. Devestating to watch through the years how it effected him & all his relationships.
Glad you like your new washing machine. I love not having the agitator.

ellen b. said...

That's a very interesting property. We do have some antiques in our home. I'm glad you are enjoying your new washer.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful home for the women who need a home! What a wonderful ministry to have such a place for them, and also the home for men recovering from addiction. What a needed ministry that is. Our small church supports many ministries in and around our community. We have a thrift store that often just gives things to people who are truly in need. We have a man in our church who houses men who have just been released from prison and need a place to stay. One requirement is that they must come to church, and that has been a blessing for them as well as for our church to see these men blossom under the love and care of this man (who was previously in prison himself). We have a quilt ministry that makes lap quilts for Ronald McDonald house and hospice house. Our church supports the local soup kitchen and food bank, and we donate school supplies, underwear, jackets, and Christmas gifts to the children at our elementary school. For a small church, our people are very involved in helping others in our needy community. It is Christ's hands in action. I love your new washer! I've never seen one w/o an agitator before! So happy to hear it really works! Maybe when our old one finally dies we will check that one out! But I hope it isn't anytime soon. LOL. Have a blessed day, and enjoy those blackberries! That cobbler looks delicious!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I do have items in my home which to me are antiques. I have a wooden ironing board that belonged to my grandmother. I have a Singer sewing machine that my grandfather did tailor work on. I have a dining room set which belonged to Mark's grandparents. His grandmother was born in 1900. I'm glad you are happy with your new washing machine. Also that house looks awesome and I love the antiques it has. Hooray for Blackberries!!!

Gingermog said...

How wonderful your church is wealthy enough to provide a safe place for women recovering from Addiction. Looks like a beautiful, serene place. My lovely cousin has spent many years battling her demons, for a year or so she was in recovery run by nuns, which seemed to suit her very well. She’s back home with my auntie now and I long to see them, when it’s safe to travel to different countries. I’d hate to bring anything with me although we are all vaccinated. Keep well and safe.