Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Just Random Stuff

Chuck, Beth and I went to see Dr. Dolittle the other day. It was pretty good, there were some funny parts. The best part for me was just getting out of the house for a while. Being able to do something different.

Honestly I'm writing this at 1:30 in the afternoon and I'm still in my pajamas. I worked from 8:30am to 11pm yesterday and will do it again tomorrow. Supervisor by day and Custodian at night. I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel though because I hired one person yesterday and I'm meeting with someone else tomorrow. Plus one of my night crew comes back from his missions trip the end of this week... this has been a very difficult start to the new year. But the miracle is my attitude. God is doing such a work in me, changing me to think differently and my 'self talk' is more positive.

God is good.

We've got rain today. And tomorrow. And the next day. Hey, this is Seattle after all! 😊

I haven't taken too many pictures lately. Well, except at work of course. Room set ups, broken chairs, etc. Okay, enough about work. Moving right along...

I'm in the middle of a couple of books. One is Home by Julie Andrews. It's the autobiography of her growing up years. (I've already read Homework of her Hollywood years.) I love reading about people in the spotlight from their own point of view. In the end they're just regular people like you and me, with the same doubts, fears and concerns. The other book hasn't been published yet. My high school biology teacher began writing books when he retired from teaching and he asked a few of us to read it and write a review. (The power of Facebook!) It's a law enforcement mystery novel and it's been really good. I get into it and can't put it down.

Our extended family has a reunion back in Iowa every summer and we're hoping - planning - to go this year. It's my grandma's family, (my dad's mom) her siblings and their kids, grandchildren and great grandchildren. My dad went a few times, he didn't realize they had it until he was older and now that he's gone, we want to make it a priority to go. When we visited a couple years ago they showed me the Family Book that they have spent decades putting together of each sibling and their families. How my grandma and her brothers and sisters lived in a children's home, there are pictures of them and of the house. Their story is incredible! Then as we were leaving Aunt Betty's she gave me my own copy of the book! I've been working on pages of our family and I hope to take them back to help fill in some gaps in my grandma's life. (She moved to CA when everyone else stayed in Iowa.) I'm excited to meet more of our family members!

Well I guess that's all from around here. It's been a pretty slow day, which is exactly what I've needed!

Does your family have a reunion every year? 

7 comments:

Patti said...

It has been my experience that the Lord is more interested in changing our response to our circumstances than in changing our circumstances. When you read James, chapter 1, about counting it all joy in trials, he says, "...so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." If our trials bring about something we are lacking, then there is a purpose for them!!

I love the family book your family has made! That is so my heart! I have done books of my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother. I need to do the others as well.

Love,
Patti

ellen b. said...

Glad you've had peace about all your hours and needing more employees. We have not initiated any sort of family reunion but we've started talking about it with my extended family. Time will tell.

Rebecca Jo said...

I have never been to a family reunion - which is kinda sad because I know I have so many cousins that have had babies that I've never met.

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

I agree, God is so good! I often wonder why I have to go through some of my trials, but it seems like there's always a blessing at the end.

It is so nice to get out of the house, especially when you just need a change.

My family tries to do family reunions, but, it seems like they are getting smaller and smaller every year. Since both of my parents are gone now, I think it would be nice to have a reunion with my siblings and their children. We try as siblings, to get together every other month or so, and it's always so much fun. We usually just go out to dinner and then go to one of our homes for dessert. Good thing we all live fairly close to each other.

Have a great rest of your week!!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Saimi said...

Your family reunion sounds wonderful and I'm glad your planning on going. It's important to make those family connections. Once our kids were grown and gone we decided to have a family get together once a year. Life passes so quickly and it's easy to get caught up in the daily grind. With having grandkids I love watching them interact with their uncles and aunts and developing memories and relationships with them.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad you went to the movies. Also happy that you have hired someone. The family reunion sounds wonderful. Hope you go! We have a small family so no reunions.

Theresa said...

The family book sounds like a treasure FOR SURE! Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment. HUGS!