Friday, September 13, 2019

Rest In Peace Dad

My dad went into hospice on Wednesday, September 4 and I flew down on the 6th to be with him.

The hospice facility was phenomenal because not only did they take such great care of my dad but they also cared for me and my sisters, our whole family! There were only 4 patients in the facility and the nurses and assistants would bake fresh cookies for the family members every day, they made sure there was plenty of coffee and tea. The rooms even have couches and recliners so you can spend the night with your loved one! One night my sister and I were awake at 2 am so we went out and talked with one of the nurses for quite a while. They made you feel so at home there. 

I spent a lot of time out on the back patio



A very calm and peaceful living room


My dads room was big and most evenings all the family would gather to look at pictures and reminisce.



All week I'd been praying I'd be there when he passed away but he kept holding on. I even extended my stay by a couple of days but it looked like it wasn't gonna happen. About 45 minutes before I was due to leave, I leaned over and whispered in his ear, "Well dad it looks like I'm gonna have to leave for home before you do. I love you and I'm gonna miss you so much." 


On Wednesday, September 11 at 12:37pm my sister and I stood together next to his bed and we had our arms around each others waist when my dad took his last breath. Even though we had been expecting it, it still came as a shock. We cried and hugged each other and she went out to get the nurse.

I picked up my phone to text Chuck and saw the message from Super Shuttle telling me my ride was outside waiting to take me to the airport. 

I was still crying when I went outside to tell the driver that my dad had just passed away and could he give me 5 minutes. He apologized, he felt so bad and said he could wait. One of the NAs came out with me and asked the driver if he would like some coffee. They ministered to absolutely everybody involved!

I went back in and called our other sister, then I got my suitcase and Deb walked me out to the shuttle. It was a whirlwind few minutes but I'm so grateful the Lord let me be there when he died!

John Theodore Burke
November 23, 1924 - September 11, 2019





My mom and dad



Me, my sisters and our dad




My daughters and granddaughter
 Taken in August 2019


7 comments:

Caz said...

Oh Cindy. The world shifts but keeps on turning. Love to you x

Regina said...

Cindy I'm so sorry! I'm so glad you were there when your dad was ushered into to heaven. Please know I will be praying for you and your family.

Rebecca Jo said...

I am so sorry. It is just a different world when your daddy isn't in it.
What a gift he gave you in letting you be there for his departure. He did indeed beat you home. ... I can imagine your trip home & all the emotions you had being on your own. Hope that was peaceful to have some quiet time & not lonely. Glad the family got to spend that time together in his room. I'm sure he felt all the love
Praying for you in your loss my friend!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a beautiful blessing that you were there with him when he passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time in your life. ((HUGS))

ellen b. said...

So sorry for your earthly loss. What a sweet thing God did for you in allowing you to be at his side when he left this earth. Hugs and prayers for comfort and peace...

jody lynn said...

i'm sorry for your loss....it is never easy but your dad died with dignity and family....what more can we ask for in that time.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a precious story. I know exactly how you felt, not wanting to leave before your dear dad left this world for his next adventure in heaven. I was in a very similar situation when our own son was dying from cancer in a hospice house in Maine, and we had to fly out in the morning back home to Florida. Sadly, I was not able to stay by his side that night until he passed, but we did say our "farewells" and went back to where we were staying to get some sleep before our early flight home. His wife called us at about midnight to tell us he had passed peacefully in his sleep. We felt sad that we weren't beside him at that moment, but God had other plans. We also experienced great compassion from the people at the Hospice house. It was a wonderful place for that part of our son's journey, and we were thankful to be able to there even so. Praying for you and your family now as you continue life here on earth without your wonderful dad. But you know you will see him again someday, and that makes heaven all that much more wonderful. God bless you all.