Friday, June 22, 2018

Mama Bird

That's what we're calling her. I've learned she is a Junco and the eggs incubation time is about 2 weeks.

Back in April I wrote about a birds nest in the wreath on our front porch. There were 3 eggs when we left on vacation but a few days later Sharaya sent us a picture of an empty nest. We decided something got them because there were no cracked shells or any evidence of baby birds. When we got home, I put on some gloves and cleaned it all up and tossed the nest. Wasn't sure what else to do with it. 

A few weeks ago another nest appeared and this time there are 4 eggs!


I was up until 2:30 this morning, probably because I ate a lot more sugar than I should have throughout the day 😋 but I decided to check on the nest, just to see what exactly happens in a birds nest in the middle of the night.

And there was Mama Bird keeping an eye on her babies.


Every time I leave the house I tell her, "Bye Mama Bird!" and sometimes she stays in the nest and other times she flies out into the yard chirping at me the whole time.

It's been kind of fun to watch. I make sure the bird feeders and baths are full and we're always listening for the sound of little birds chirping! It could be anytime now!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

How adorable, that little mama is really guarding those eggs! We have large trees in our front yard, and every year there are casualties, I hate it. But, we also enjoy lots of little birds, and love watching their moms take care of them. Your wreath is gorgeous!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

ellen b said...

Ha, that mama has found a lovely home for her babies. Too funny.

Rebecca Jo said...

My mom had a nest right about her door way & we watched the baby birds grow up & fly away - so cool.
Unfortunately, we had a nest in our back yard that the momma made IN our bush - & yeah... Ernie... I was devestated