Friday, March 24, 2017

A Movie, A Photo Booth, and Chocolate

Beth was 20 years old when World Down Syndrome Day was established so we haven't really participated in anything. We went on one Buddy Walk, but we haven't worn the socks or T shirts or done anything really to bring awareness to Down Syndrome. But this year I decided to do a little something. It's not much but it's a start.

I've really liked the whole Random Acts of Kindness thing. I think that's good any day of the year! But to celebrate WDSD in a way that shows love and consideration to others just seems right to me. So I went on-line and copied a little note I'd seen, made a card - blue and yellow of course! - and filled some small baggies with chocolate. Then as we went about our day, I had Beth hand them out to people. I explained what they were for and why we were handing them out. The clerk at the drug store, the waiter at Red Robin, the cashier at the grocery store... everyone was overwhelmed and kept thanking Beth.


They looked at her. They thanked her. That's what surprised me the most, people genuinely engaged her, some for the very first time even though we're in these stores many times a week. I plan to do this again next year, but more of them and maybe something other than chocolate.

After we handed out all of our baggies, we went and saw Beauty and the Beast and we loved it! Before we went in we told Beth that she couldn't sing out loud because she knows every word to every song and we knew she would sing them! But she did very good and didn't sing at all, at least not loud enough that we could hear.

The music was wonderful, the sets were magnificent, the story... old as time. (Didja see what I did there?) 😊

  
We got there early so Beth and I decided to get inside the photo booth! I don't think I'd ever done it before but I think they turned out pretty cute!


 On Sunday we're meeting Nick at a different theater and she gets to see it again with him. She told me she hopes there's a photo booth there! We might have to keep at eye on those two!

4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

What a wonderful gesture!
Making Beth's day as well as making other's!!!!
Glad you enjoyed the movie!!!
Flynn isn't sure about it....
I think she is afraid of hurting the original Belle"s feelings!

Heather said...

What a sweet gesture! That's a fantastic idea for you and Beth to celebrate WDSD, and bring some awareness and joy to others in the process!

Rebecca Jo said...

...sorry... I did indeed sing out loud to the songs ;) haha

Michelle said...

What a great idea!! I saw the movie Friday, wow! It was wonderful...love your photo booth photos, two lovely women!!