Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Quiet, Nervous Day

Hi,

There's not much to blog about today. I'm babysitting my 10 week old granddaughter. She's asleep in her swing right now. Chuck and Diana are at work. Beth is at karaoke and art class.

So I'm doing laundry and sitting in front of this computer screen wondering what to write. Or even if I should write. To be honest, I need to clean the kitchen. And finish the laundry. So... writing it is! :)

I guess the biggest thing on my mind this week is our Special Connections class. Chuck and I start a Sunday school class this weekend for special needs kids at our church. I'm nervous, but mostly about the unknown. We haven't really promoted the class because we don't want 50 kids right away. So it's all been word of mouth so far. I hope we have enough sensory toys and activities. I hope we're not overwhelmed with the amount of kids or the variety of disabilities. I think we'll have enough teachers.

Our main objective is to provide a fun, safe place for these kids to hang out while their parents are in class or the church service. Too often, the parent gets their child downstairs, signs them in, gets their sticker, goes up to the service, finds a seat, only to see their number flash on the screen. Back downstairs they go.... I don't necessarily like the idea of separating the kids with special needs but we have had so many new families attend lately, families with kids that have Autism, ADHD, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, that our Sunday school teachers are becoming overwhelmed. A few of the families have left. Gone to search for a church that can accomodate their entire family. I think our church is becoming that. A place for singles, older adults, young marrieds, youth and now, families with children who have special needs.

Wow I'm nervous. Did I say I was nervous?

1 comment:

'Lena Ehlert said...

What a GREAT idea! I am so proud of you and will definitely pray for you!
'Lena