Wednesday, April 3, 2024

My Not so Brilliant Idea - I'm Open to Suggestions

It's been two weeks since I've written. There are so many things stopping me from just logging on and posting. 
 
I think I told you we got a new computer a couple months ago. I had the brilliant idea to just transfer everything from the old computer to the new - except for the photos. I have so many that I think that's part of what's slowing the thing down so much. I've tried putting them onto thumb drives but I have so many now, that I have to search each one to find the label with the photos I want. And a couple of them no longer work. I can view, but nothing else. It's just not convenient.
 
I keep the photos from the two most recent years on the computer, plus photos of each of the girls, grand kids, me and Chuck, photos that I print for greeting cards... I will admit there are a lot, but they're all the photos I want easy access to. Everything else is on thumb drives.
 
So I thought if we took everything off the old computer, and left only the photos, the computer would start working better.
 
But that didn't happen. And the main thing I do on the computer? Blog! So I'm still using the old one, so I can still use my photos.
 
And the old one is... still old. It's still incredibly slow, the 'w' key doesn't always work, and the computer crashes at random times.
 
PLUS! Google now requires authorization to log in! And it sends the text to CHUCK'S phone!
 
So, I hesitate to post anymore. I've got so many pictures to share with you but I need to make sure Chuck is home to do it. And I hate using our old computer. 😞 
 
So I need to find a good solution. Should I just move ALL my photos over to this new computer? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! 

7 comments:

Jenny in WV said...

That sounds really annoying to have to do two factor authentication just to use your own home computer! Maybe a computer repair place would have a workaround? Is it too late to return it an get something else that you can use when you want?

I don't have many photos on my computer - I mostly stopped using the digital camera when I got a smart phone, and I don't blog so no real need for photos on the computer - so I don't have any suggestions there.

I hope you get it figured out, I've missed reading you blog!

Emily said...

Moving to a new computer can be challenging. For the moving the photos I would recommend using Google drive or Microsoft one drive. For the Google account authorization there should be something in the Google account settings where you can change what phone is use for the authorization.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I would recommend just stop blogging if it's that much of a hassle.

Terri D said...

I hope you don't stop blogging!! My photos are all in Google Photos. They go right from my phone camera to "the cloud" so they are available on my phone and on my computer. They don't slow the computer down because they are in the cloud. I've been using Google Photos for years now and have all my pictures there back to the year 2000. I do pay $2.00 a month for extra storage but it took a long time to run our of space. The phone number should be in "settings" and can be changed. Good luck!!

Regina said...

Please don't stop blogging! We love your family. I know "nuthin bout" computers.
I think you can change the settings in Google to not do the two step thing.

ellen b. said...

Sometimes newer computers have more memory or something like that. I'm no pro at all. I hope you find a solution.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered printing the pictures from the old computer and just starting fresh with the new one?

I use Shutterfly to store and print all of my pictures and then I always have access to Shutterfly if I need reprints. As someone else said, that means they’re in the “cloud”.

Maybe that would help so you don’t have to deal with the old computer? You could upload the pictures once from the old computer to Shutterfly and then wouldn’t need to use the old computer anymore. You could then blog from the new computer.