Saturday, September 23, 2023

She Likes to be Independent

Every Thursday after work Beth and I go grocery shopping. Sometimes we don't need very much but most of the time we fill our carts. Beth is pretty independent, we each grab a cart and then we go our separate ways. We sometimes pass in the aisles, I'll say to her, "Hey! I know you!" and she'll smile as she walks by or she'll ignore me and pretend like she's never seen me before in her life.





 

She pretty much buys the same things every week but is trying to cut down on the amount of junk food she buys. We're also trying to get her to go dairy free but this week there was a huge, family-size block of cheese in her cart. I had to remind her that it's the cheese that causes her stomach aches and digestive issues. She wasn't happy about putting it back but she did.
 
Whoever finishes first waits by the registers until the other one arrives, then we check out together. This last Thursday she wanted me to check out first. Then she unloads her cart, pays for it, unloads all her groceries in the car, then unloads again at home. I'm thankful she's so independent when it comes to grocery shopping.


 

I happened to spot her as I walked by one aisle.
 I think she was making more room in her cart.








6 comments:

Regina said...

Beth is such a sweetie! I thought that was funny that she pretends not to know you. My adult daughters would do the same I'm sure. I hope you had a nice first day of fall. I'm sick with a cold so I didn't write a fall blog post.

Terri D said...

Beth knows what she wants and what a blessing it is that she is independent and able to shop for her favorites and then check out on her own. Necessary skills for sure!! She is pretty amazing!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I think it's wonderful that Beth is able to be somewhat independent, especially about the things she wants to buy, etc., and that she can pay for them herself. I love the pictures of her throughout the store. What a blessing for both of you. Thank you for sharing Beth with us. She is amazing!!!

Jeanie said...

I love that she is so independent and do all that. You have done a wonderful job in raising your lovely daughter and the credit goes to you both.

ellen b. said...

So nice that she can enjoy these independent moments.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

You guys have done such a wonderful job with Beth. I appreciate how you have taught her life skills so she can be independent. And those gentle reminders about things like cheese help her to make good decisions. Maybe she could have a little bit of cheese or some cheese sticks? Bless her heart. Well done, mama!!