Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Help, Heart, Heat

 Hi! It seems like I've been away from this computer for a long time. Things are busy and by the end of the day, I'm just too tired to write. But today is my day off - with no appointments or deadlines - so I'm taking time to post. It feels good to be 'talking' with all of you again.
 
A little over a month ago I met with our Executive team at work and told them I needed to step back from the Custodial Manager position. This position was added to my Admin duties (I accepted it) and I've been trying to do both for more than four years. Now that I understand the scope of the job I'm realizing it's not a good fit for me. I've never managed or supervised adults before and now I know I'm not really cut out for it. It has been the hardest thing I've ever done. 
 
The Executive team said yes to me remaining as Facilities Admin (been doing that position more than 10 years - on staff more than 20) so I'll keep working there. (I'm relieved! I had to prepare myself for the possibility of them going in a different direction. It was highly unlikely but still.) 
 
Yesterday I learned they hired a pastor to oversee the facility/custodians and he now needs to be ratified by the Board and approved by the Pastoral Staff. The job is his but this has to be done according to our bylaws. So, I'm hoping in the next month or two I will have more time at home, more time to take walks, read, make cards... I can literally feel the stress beginning to float away as the day gets closer!
 
 
While at work a few weeks ago I got a sharp pain in my chest, like someone was poking me with a sharp knife. My left arm was sore and I felt light headed. A couple of co-workers prayed for me and I began to feel better. (I love working in a church! 💖) 
 
The doctor did an EKG and found I have Right Bundle Branch Block. That's a blockage in the electrical current in my heart. I didn't know the heart had electrical currents! I don't think I've ever had an EKG before so they don't know how long it's been there. Possible causes are previous heart attack, heart disease... and since I have family history of heart disease, I go in next week for a full echocardiogram. 
 

I think I told you our furnace went out back in December. Our gas fireplace has been a God-send! We've gotten bids from three companies and finally today we decided on which one to use. There's a lot that goes into it, a lot more than I expected. But we'll sign the papers when Chuck gets home tonight (on-line of course) and hopefully soon we'll have a new furnace!
 
 
Beth and I spent a day shopping last week so I'll write about that next time. I hope you're all doing well. Sorry I haven't been writing or reading. I hope to get back to it soon! And now I'll leave you with a picture of Adelaide, a little over 6 weeks old ~
 

8 comments:

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Oh, my goodness, sounds like you are going to be relieved of the stress and responsibilities of that additional job just in time. Until the pastor taking the job can begin, just keep reminding yourself that you'll be much less stressed very soon. Grateful that you are going to have a complete heart study. Hope your health professionals can figure out what is going on and get it under control.

That Adelaide is sure a doll baby. Hope you and Beth enjoyed your shopping date. I look forward to hearing more.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh my! I can imagine how relieved you will be to be finished with that part of your job. Sounds like it was really a huge responsibility for such a large church. Yes, your health is more important. I am glad they understood. Praying for you to get answers to your health issues and to begin to feel better and have more time to enjoy life, and that precious new baby!! how adorable is she??? Take care my friend. Glad to hear from you again. Blessings...

Terri D said...

Your Adelaide is beautiful! I'm glad you will be having less stress at work!! That will help with your heart, too, I hope!! Do keep us posted and know that you are being prayed for!! Take care!!

Jeanie said...

I hope they can get your heart stuff figured out soon. And I'll be getting my full echo around the time you do, so you'll be extra in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you were able to work out the work situation.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am so happy that you can step back from the stressful situation at work. And I pray for your heart situation to be resolved soon. Happy to see you here, and oh my! That baby is precious!!!!!

Cathy said...

Adelaide is beautiful! Glad to hear that you'll be able to have some more free time. I think that's so important. Praying you'll have good results on the tests coming up.

ellen b. said...

Glad you will get the relief at work and your load will be less. I have a left bundle block that I just found out about last year. Adelaide is so precious. Hope you have a peaceful weekend.

Michelle said...

I hope your testing comes back clear. We just found out my husband is going to have open heart on Tuesday. He needs at least 4 bypasses and he is only 48. It's been quite a shock to us all. Keeping you in prayer