Wednesday, February 8, 2023

"Hello? AARP Calling."

 Chuck turned 65 this week! When I see and say that number I think of my grandparents. They were so old! It's crazy how inside we still feel like we're in our 20's but the outside tells a much different story!
 
He was in the mood for steak so we ended up going to Santa Fe, a Mexican food place near us. The food was really good and the kids talked me into having a strawberry margarita. Now, I don't drink, haven't for 40+ years. We just don't care for the taste of it anymore. But this was good! I only drank about half, but I sure had a buzz by the time we got to the car!
 

 
 (Not my picture)


 Adelaide sure loves her daddy!


We came back to our house for cake, lemon meringue pie, and gifts. He got a new travel mug, a book, and we all went together to get him a Google Nest. He and Peter spent a little while setting it all up and connecting it to his phone. It'll take a couple weeks to learn how to use it but we're excited to have one!

 

 This is the card Beth made for him:




Even though he grew up in difficult circumstances, Chuck is so easy-going. Always happy. Very few things ruffle his feathers.
 
His dad died when he was three years old. They moved in with his dad's sister and her family, and his mom became very depressed. She developed agoraphobia and didn't leave the couch for ten years. In his teen years she came out of her depression and was able to get a job. Chuck left San Diego and headed off to Bible college. We met after he returned.

Through it all he kept his faith in the Lord and loved his mom with all his might. He has been faithful to me and our girls, has always worked hard. He's always had a job, very often two. He's our hero.

 
His 8th Grade picture
 
 
This is his yearbook photo from when he taught 5th grade back in the 80's.


Graduating from Northwest University

 
We love you Chuck! Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Happy Birthday to Chuck! Sounds like he had a wonderful birthday! What an interesting, but sad story about his childhood. I love to see how God carried him through all of that and gave him a beautiful life, wife, and family! Our God is an awesome God! I don't know what a "Google Nest" is? I guess I need to look it up! Have a wonderful week!

Billie Jo said...

Happy Birthday to your husband, my friend! What a wonderful celebration!!! Loved seeing the photos too!

Terri D said...

Happy birthday to your CHuck!! Thanks for telling us more about him and his family. I love seeing all the photos!! I've never heard of Google Nest so am now headed to look it up!

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday to your husband!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Chuck!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Happy birthday, Chuck. Looks like he was well celebrated. Beth thought of the best present. We have some kind of Google device that looks like your Nest. I have no idea. I just use it as a fancy timer in the kitchen!!