Saturday, July 14, 2018

Showing Signs Of Depression

Beth writes a lot of prayer requests each week at church. Usually she writes things like, "Help keep my arm straight at bowling", or "help me not text my boyfriend when he at work." They're simple and consistent. She writes the same things week after week.

But last weekend she wrote something that made me stop for a minute. 

"What are you doing in my life Jesus and I don't know what wrong with me and heal my heart right now Jesus." 

I brought it home and showed it to Chuck, we had no idea what she might be talking about. 

Then the other day I was going to Target and I asked her if she wanted to come and she said, "No." I was shocked. "Why Beth?" She just shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know." Target is one of her all-time favorite stores and she doesn't want to go? Then I began to put the pieces together and realized she may be depressed.

She's been unemployed for 9 months now.
Her boyfriend recently got a job.
He doesn't go to All Aboard on Wednesdays anymore.
She sits at home 5 days a week.

No wonder she's feeling depressed.

So yesterday I told her we were going out. We went to Revelations Yogurt and sat outside. The weather was gorgeous! Then I asked her if she wanted to go to the beach. "Okay." We went and sat on a bench for almost an hour and when I asked her if she was ready to go or should we sit for a few more minutes, she said, "A few more minutes." 

I was more than happy to sit there with her. We watched the Washington State Ferry come and go, we watched the people play in the water and we watched the tide come in.






I know taking her out for yogurt isn't going to magically make the depression go away but I'm hoping I can start getting her out more and adding some new things to her life. I talked to her job coach and she's still trying to get Beth an interview at McDonalds. 

Her prayer request proves she's aware of the changes happening in her. I haven't talked to her about it yet but I plan to in the next few days. Not quite sure what to say actually.

I am hoping though that it's just in the beginning stages and with prayer and a new job and some changes in her life, it won't take hold and become worse.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Bless her heart. Changes are tough & she's been dealing with them for awhile now & they keep piling on her. I love she asked Jesus for help though in prayer requests.
Keep loving her momma, as I know you do!

Barb said...

Hi Cindy~

Beth is so sweet, and going through changes can't be easy for her. She will be in my prayers, so will you.

Loved all your photos, it looks like you two had a great time! Keep your chin up!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Martha said...

I have really enjoyed following your blog. My 6-year-old granddaughter has Down syndrome, so seeing what Beth is able to accomplish and how she lives her life is a huge encouragement to me. I recently started on a micro-nutrient multi-vitamin supplement, to get more energy after radiation from breast cancer, and found out that that same vitamin supplement is really helpful for people with Down syndrome. My son started Abby on it a couple of months ago; also her older brother. I have been working with a nutritionist (PhD in nutrition) who has an adult daughter with Down syndrome, and she says that it is the only vitamin she would recommend. Dr. Hodson has a website http://www.hodsoncustomdiets.com/ and she is very helpful. She is helping me get off an anti-depressant right now, using diet and natural products, and I bet she could help Beth. I'll also give a link to a video where she talks about the product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdBtPiNAZU. She talks about her daughter with Down syndrome starting at 6:14. But watch the whole thing. I hope you don't mind my offering this unsolicited. Dr. Hodson has been so helpful to me, and the vitamin, Micro Daily, has proved so effective for my whole family, that I wanted to mention it to you in case it would help Beth. Dr. Hodson is very gracious, and will talk to you on the phone at length. I've talked to her about myself, and also about my granddaughter's needs.

Michelle said...

THis just about broke my heart. Precious girl. Will be praying.