Friday, July 31, 2026

One Last Visit, Then Home

 We left Colorado then headed west to Northern California. 






Stopped for gas and some hot chocolate. Beth gets hot chocolate every Sunday at church so she was very happy to get some this Sunday too!



We ended up driving by the Great Salt Lake and the salt flats. We're the blue dot at the bottom of this pic. That's where we were when I took these pictures.  




Chuck and I are on ancestry.com and about 15 years ago a lady named Joan emailed me and asked about her aunts picture on our page. Her aunt is my great grandmother. She was putting together a book of the history of our family and mentioned that back in 1928 my grandfather and his cousin, went with an aunt and uncle on a road trip from Massachusetts to San Diego, up to Seattle and home again. She had letters that her aunt wrote to her cousin (mom and daughter) during the trip. What she didn't know was that I had all the photos of that trip. We've been writing back and forth all these years, and finally got to meet.

We crossed Donner Pass, the same road they took on that 1928 trip.


This a post card of a snow shed up on Donner pass.



Here they are visiting the giant redwoods in northern California -


My grandpa Robert on the left, with Uncle Henry and Aunt Lou.

We met Joan and Don for lunch and talked for almost 2 hours. But we wish we'd had more time. It was so good to meet them.


We stayed overnight in Redding, then had breakfast at Black Bear Diner in the morning. The food was so good. And they're known for their biscuits.




Mount Shasta


Drove through Oregon, then into Washington, and home to Seattle.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now we're going through some things at home so I may not be on here for a while. Please keep our family in your prayers.


4 comments:

Terri D said...

Prayers lifted! Thanks for taking us along on your vacation/road-trip! How fun to meet your distant relative in person. I am also on Ancestry and have met a few distants in person (and online). Genealogy is very interesting! Hugs! xo

ellen b. said...

Praying right now for your family. You picked good dates for this trip. Things look a lot different on those roads with all the fires right now. That is something to meet up with extended family your share so much history with.

Susan said...

I enjoyed all your pictures. We have been through most of California and up through Oregon. We were in Seattle in 2006 and stayed there 4 days after our cruise to Alaska. Glad you met family. I will keep you in prayer.

Betsy said...

I'm so glad that you were able to meet with your relative. Even though it's a somewhat distant connection, I do see a resemblance between you. You had such a great trip and saw many things. We're looking forward to our vacation this month. We'll go from here in Omaha to Spokane with stops along the way. Not sure of our plans for coming home yet. We want to see our grandson who is working in Ontario, OR right now, but as he's a lineman, he moves around where needed. He may be somewhere different by then. We definitely want to see him so we'll go where he is! :-)
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy