Saturday, August 22, 2009

Starting in the Middle

I have read many blogs that were started when a vacation began or when a child was born. Our blog however, starts in the middle. Our daughter is an adult.
I have decided to start this blog for a couple reasons. First, because our daughter Beth has Down Syndrome and she will be 25 on October 10, 2009. We have walked this road and we know what you are going through. When Beth was born, we were overwhelmed with our circumstances and downright scared about the future. We often felt alone. And over the years I have heard stories of other parents who have felt the same way. If you are just beginning this journey, a journey that includes life with a handicapped child, I want you to know you are not alone. Our daughter is grown now and I can tell you, it's going to be okay.

The other reason for this blog is for the rest of you out there. Those of you looking in at this foreign world of special needs with curious questions and nervous smiles. We see you watching us as we walk passed your table at the restaurant. We notice your backward glances when we pass you in the mall. I hope this blog opens the door between our two worlds; allows you the opportunity to ask questions and quench your curiousity. I hope you get a glimpse of our world, a world more 'normal' than you may think. We're really not as scary as we look. :)

No comments: